[OSList] OST Nostalgia: US Elections & Harrison

Chris Kloth chris at got2change.com
Sat Oct 27 08:27:28 PDT 2012

As long as I am in an OST nostalgia moment, the election in the US has
me thinking about another Harrison moment.

ChangeWorks of the Heartland was hosting Harrison in Columbus, Ohio on
election day in the year 2000.

Two things happened that I remember fondly.

First, we had a "training" workshop on OST. The design, of course,
included self-organization to engage the group in creating the session
that would be most valuable to them. I assumed that Harrison, the guy
that everyone had paid to see, would take the lead after a few
welcomes and thank-yous by me. Moments before we were about to start
Harrison said he would prefer to watch and listen and then do his
thing at the end. When he saw how startled I was he said, "You've done
this before. You'll do fine."

It all went very well...I did fine, Harrison had fun and the group was
pleased.

He was staying at my house that night and we had a group of friends
and colleagues over to watch the election results. Americans will
probably remember that was the infamous Bush -v- Gore election.

Late at night when it was clear we would not know the outcome any time
soon Harrison went to bed after announcing, "I don't know if I have
been Bush-ed or Gore-ed! I need some sleep!."

With this election looking like it will come down to the wire I am
wondering whether we will be Mitt-ened or Barack-ed!

As an aside, whatever your political persuasion, I hope you will
reflect on how much good could have been done on behalf of people in
need with the money spent on campaigns and, especially the vitriolic
ads on both sides. (In Ohio we have been especially targeted for this
toxic waste.) We need campaign reform desperately in the USA and it
will not start at the top.

Shalom,

Chris Kloth
Senior Partner
ChangeWorks of the Heartland
250 South Virginalee Road
Columbus, OH 43209-2052
Phone: 614.239.1336
Fax: 614.237.2347
E-mail: chris at got2change.com

Think globally, Act locally

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for
privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the