[OSList] A story of leadership that connects to Open Space

Linda Stevenson stevenson8899 at msn.com
Sun Oct 28 06:50:04 PDT 2012

Thoughtful, heart-felt, and inspirational - as always! Thank you,Linda
 Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 08:54:55 -0400
From: sdaigle4 at gmail.com
To: OSList at lists.openspacetech.org
Subject: [OSList] A story of leadership that connects to Open Space

Greetings

Today... Sunday and the forces of nature are upon us.  Earthquake in Hawaii, fortunately the Tsunami warning is now lifted; Hurricane Sandy, a super storm heading up the North Atlantic coast; and Typhoon Son-Tinh lashing Asia with winds and flooding.   Add to this the political fire storms in the US with an upcoming election  and a world that is in the midst of great change on so many fronts, well we've got ourselves an amazing brew with the type of chaos that Wave Rider and Open Space Technology are ready-made for.  Yes indeed it seems that the world is waiting for an unleashing of leadership on many fronts. What a precious gift we have, those of us who have been introduced to the beautiful technology of Open Space!  A gift that invites one and all to roll up their sleeves and pitch in on the stuff that needs to be done, that we can all do together, using the law of 2 feet and 5 life-honoring principles in a spirit of shared joy, purpose and support.

If I was inspired this morning it's because of an article I read in the New York Times, a story of a great hero woman who lived in Maine, not far from Camden where Harrison lives in the summer.  She wrote a book called Silent Spring -- a book that changed the world.  It is a story of courage, of conviction and caring passionately about something, taking responsibility, making a difference and unleashing one's own leadership.  It's a story about "coming home to oneself" the same coming home that people often describe that happens to them after being introduced to Open Space.

So wherever you are whether it be Sunday morning, afternoon or the next day, I offer you this link thinking that you will also see the wonderful story behind the story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/business/rachel-carsons-lessons-50-years-after-silent-spring.html?_r=0

It's the life tale of a great woman, Rachel Carson who researched and wrote a seminal book Silent Spring that became the genesis for the environmental movement. It's also a story about the unleashing of personal and collective leadership that reminds us of the potential that lives inside each of us, regardless of age, background, socio-economic level, status, education, gender or race.

A beautiful article to inspire us as we plan into our WOSonOS 2013 event in Florida. In the end, what we are planning is a simple affair. What is not simple however are the beautiful emergent conversations and possible actions that will ensue as we invite our OS community to imagine what's possible that would inspire which goes beyond a single event or just a few days.

In the end, the dream is to imagine more and more people being introduced to Open Space. Sharon Joy Kleitsch, a community connector and a member of our planning team, has already started igniting the buzz in the Greater Tampa Bay area and St. Petersburg Florida where our event will be held, talking about us, this wonderful gang of Open Space folks from all over the world who are doing amazing things through this work.

Just as Phelim and the team inspired many to the importance of Theatre in Britain in a Road Show series of Open Space events, I imagine in our own way that more people will have the opportunity "to experience" Open Space because of our upcoming event.The dream is that mainstream folks from all walks of life use Open Space to open spaces everywhere to make their world, our world a better place.

Feeling the gratitude of something much bigger than a Sunday morning cup of coffee,

Suzanne

--
Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group