[OSList] how to organize record of proceedings in a 3h1/2 OST format ?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Nov 20 18:08:19 PST 2012

Great thoughts everyone.
I like using a template whether for written notes or for graphic
notes. And when they are graphic notes or flip-charts that are mostly
graphic - I ask someone from the group to add a one-sentence to
paragraph text description of the conversation. As I find that helps
people who were not in the group - who did not have the context, body
language or non-verbal communication the group creating that flip
chart had) better access what those flip-chart notes or graphics are
showing.

It is also true that documentation design depends not just on the time
available but also on the objectives and desired outcomes for the
event, how the ideas and information generated in the meeting will
best be used by the participants and / or host organization after the
event, and more. All this may influence how the notes-taking process
is designed. Is it most useful to document the conversations / the
narrative, or is it most useful to have a list of topics and who
attended, or key images that the group will return to in the next part
of the chain of their meetings, or what.

And for Open Space or anything - there is always an interesting
thought process behind what we add, remove, do for participants, have
them do and so on.
I like all of these options for having the participants still take
their own notes - whether that is to invite them to complete typing
their notes after dinner at a table full of laptops, have them pass a
participant sign-in sheet during their discussion, asking people to
write some text below a graphic image, or hand in their notes to have
them photographed or photocopied. One of the key benefits of
documentation includes widening the knowledge shared so it is not just
the group who talked who gets the benefit of that particular wisdom -
but that others who attended that event may also learn from those
diverse people and discussion topics.

I do know that it is hard for participants to step away from the vital
conversations in a super-short Open Space - and that memory fades and
'Monday happens' after an event. So my goal is to design for and
gather all documentation within the real time of the event - even if I
am putting it together and sending it out to participants some time
soon after the event.

Nice idea for the phone app, Chris. You are so great in the ways you
use technical stuff in service to humans....

Christine I smile when this conference host wants to boost empowerment
but only gives a few hours in the overall conference for this
participant-driven content. Oh well - that is sometimes how it
happens, even with our asking for / showing alternatives to find more
time within the conference schedule. I say the fundamental thing is -
and you know this, Christine - to trust your intuition. You let us
know that having a break for inputting notes did not feel right - so
there is your deep body-sense of knowledge about that part, right
inside you...

Lisa