[OSList] Emergent Governance

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun May 20 07:43:40 PDT 2012

Artur – thanks for the reference. My Italian is not too hot, so hopefully a translation is available for us deficient Americans. And more on the subject… Emergent Governance.

I can’t tell you how many times people have asked/suggested that OST be utilized in government, or even as a replacement for government. It may be the traditionalist in me, but I never really thought that could work if only because I think there really is a place for the legislative process, or “government” by whatever means. But I think that is a limited place, and we get into trouble when governance and Government become synonymous. Or to use some different words, when politics is seen as the special or exclusive activity of Government.

“Politics” as you know comes from the Greek “polis” = city. And politics is (or should be) what the people of the city do to sustain and better their life. Some of this, of course, is done quite formally as in the executive and legislative process. But that is not the whole enchilada!

I confess that it sometimes seems that we have laws for everything. We say that we are “governed” by law. And when things aren’t working just right the automatic response seems to be – Pass another Law. But I am not really sure that is true or useful. As a matter of fact I strongly suspect (though could never prove) that the vast majority of positive human behavior takes place with benefit of any law. It is just what we do – as a function of what I have been calling emergent governance. Laws and lawmaking are secondary, a ratification or rationalization of acceptable, life affirming human behavior. I have no doubt that on occasion a good law is very helpful (civil rights law for example). But I think where we go astray is when we assume that passing a law is the obvious 1st response to some perceived malfunction of the human community. On the contrary, I suggest that such action be a matter of last resort. Failing everything else – Pass a Law.

And what would the “everything else” be? The “everything else” is what I have been calling Emergent Governance, for lack of better words. And I do think that our 27 year sojourn with Open Space can provide some very useful information and experience. Shortly put, Emergent Governance is what well functioning self organizing systems do. And Open Space offers a useful approach to the initiation and/or restarting of self organization. We know how to do that. And we also have the opportunity and, I would say, obligation, to help others learn how to do it as well.

In a very real sense this is a “No News” observation. It is just that now is a particularly critical time when our knowledge and experience may be helpful. I say, No News because it has been apparent, if not obvious from the very beginning. In the 1st Edition of the User’s Guide I started out with a story to set the stage. It was all about an interesting Open Space involving some 250 federal bureaucrats, state and local officials, along with a large group of Native Americans. It happened almost 30 years ago. The focus was, “Building Roads on Tribal Lands.” As it happened, the US Government had allocated some 1.5 billion dollars for such work with the stipulation that all parties (Fed’s, State, and Native Americans) had to be in agreement regarding the nature and scope of the project. For two year, folks, argued, fumed, and postured with the net result that nothing had happened. The discussion time had just about ended and the $1.5 billion was just about to go back to the US Treasury unless…

I guess it was desperation, but somehow, someway, somebody suggested Open Space and that is what we did. The details were wild and wonderful, but the net result was that, after two years of anger and frustration, agreement was achieved – not just “in general or principle” but with real plans and projects. Nobody laid down the law, mediated the controversies, or facilitated the discussion – but it was orderly and productive, not to mention exciting. They were blown away. I was blown away. But 30 years later I find myself thinking – well, that was just another day in Open Space. Which is true, but not significant. The significance was that a well functioning self organizing system was initiated/invited – and it did what it does – manifest Emergent Governance with very positive and productive results.

I believe there are a lot of lessons here worthy of sharing – as well as a lot of lessons yet to be learned. Or something.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854