[OSList] Question

Peggy Holman peggy at peggyholman.com
Tue May 8 07:19:13 PDT 2012

Hi Augustin,

I generally figure about the same number of computers as breakout spaces.  That's where the relationship is.  How many sessions are going on at any given time provides an approximation of how many people want to do notes.  It's generally a bit heavier at the end of the day so if you've got the room and the budget, a extra machine or two can help.  Depending on the group, in this day and age, plenty of people have their own computer.  So it also depends on the crowd.

I usually figure breakout spaces based on noticing that about 1/3 of people post a session.  When the numbers get large, say over 250, generally it is less than that and when they're really small, say under 25, then it's more than that.  Still, 1/3 of participants has been a good rule of thumb for me.  Then divide the number of sessions by the number of times and that tells you the number of breakout spaces.  For example, if there are 150 people, figure about 50 breakout sessions.  If you've got 3 time periods, you'll want around 17 +/- spaces.

Peggy

_________________________________
Peggy Holman
peggy at peggyholman.com

15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.peggyholman.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

Enjoy the award winning Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger