[OSList] Santo / Emergent Governance

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue May 22 12:52:30 PDT 2012

John - I have now read your documents and already I am confused by the
facts, but I love it. Let me say again how much I admire what you are doing
and your willingness to share. Terrific! And it occurs to me that my
comments online may have cut a little close to the bone (translation: "a
little too pointed"). The comments came from real and extended experience
with various community development projects and I really can't apologize for
them. That said, I hope you understand that they were not directed at you -
especially since I had no idea of what you were proposing. I suppose that is
what happens when you are not confused by the facts. J

As I read the proposal I found myself thinking - You really did as well as
you could given that you were writing a proposal to a development
organization, Habitat for Humanity (HFH). I have enormous respect for those
folks, but they are what they are, and exist in the larger world of NGO's
which puts some definite constraints on how they talk and what they will ask
for, as you note. So it comes as no surprise that  most (if not all) of the
expected Deliverables are formal structures, procedures, plans, missions and
goals, all reported in triplicate and definitely on a timeline. However, I
think you and I both know that all of that could be delivered with a net
result of one more failed community - well organized and "documented" for
sure, but failed nonetheless. There is More. but that "more" may be hard to
put in words and virtually impossible to communicate to the likes of HFH, as
good as they are. The basic issue is that they (HFH et al) typically have
their priorities reversed. The presumption is that formal structure,
mission/goals, plans will create the hoped for result (caring citizens). I
think it is just the other way around. Caring citizens will create (to the
extent that they need to) appropriate structure, plans, mission, plans. It
all begins with people who care, their raw passion and responsibility -
which will then manifest the needed formalisms. Ah but I know I am preaching
to the choir!

So what to do? Did you ever think about keeping two sets of books? I know
that is dishonest accounting procedure, but in situations like yours it can
be very useful. That way you and all the good folks from Haiti Partners can
keep HFH fully informed in ways they expect and can understand. And then -
Describe what is REALLY going on. And if you could share that, we promise
not to blow your cover. I think I already know what the major story line is
. The people who care will come with their passion and responsibility from
which will grow their shared vision, eventually manifesting the structure
and formalisms, as needed and appropriate. How all that works out in the
details will be the intriguing part - especially the part about how you
manage to keep the space open and free from the pre-imposed structures and
presuppositions - at least long enough so that the people can do their work.
Pretty clandestine, I know, but I do believe we all could learn a real
bunch. And, of course, there is no need to keep HFH totally in the dark
because when they are ready, or certainly by the conclusion, you can let
them know what's really happening. That could be a genuine learning
experience, not only for them but for the larger Community Development
community. I doubt that many would actually listen, but you could try. Old
cynic that I am.

How's that for a Mission Impossible. The offer will self-destruct..

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: