[OSList] On behalf of the Open Space Institute - US Board (OSI-US)

Peggy Holman peggy at peggyholman.com
Wed Mar 14 16:55:55 PDT 2012

Thanks, Suzanne, for sending the note about the Open Space Institute - US.

It's been a learning journey, to be part of the OSI-US board since it's beginning.  And it's been a while since I've told the origin story.

It was 1996.  Harrison was on a cross-North America trip.  He brought the idea of a research institute to Toronto, then Seattle. Shortly after that, he continued on to Melbourne, Australia.  In each of these places, a small group gathered, inspired by Harrison's vision of an institute.  So three OSI's were formed in rapid succession, each pursuing the notion in a different way.  (The Canadians always remind us that they were the first. :-)  In the US, we decided to create a nonprofit entity so that we could accept donations.  Early on, we asked people what they wanted from an Open Space Institute.  They told us they wanted space for:

* mutual support and connection,
* mentoring and being mentored, and
* sharing stories and learning for one another.

One person said he wanted OSI to be the hearth, the heart fire, where he could send friends to learn about Open Space.

About 10 years ago, we started responding to requests to support the opening of space in underserved parts of the world.

I think these intentions remain central to our reason to exist.

So if you believe in our mission - holding space for Open Space, or want to support bringing OS to the under-served, or just want to say thank you for the difference OS has made in your work and or your life, then please make a member donation in any amount!
http://osius.org/content/support-osi-us.

And no matter what, thanks for whatever you do to open space in the world,
Peggy

_________________________________
Peggy Holman
peggy at peggyholman.com

15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.peggyholman.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

Enjoy the award winning Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger