[OSList] Peter Block

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 04:46:58 PDT 2012

Bhavesh, Joanne, Elaine and others,

Peter Block's book Stewardship "Choosing Service over Self-Interest"
...seems like a lifetime ago, busy as I was in my career, climbing the
corporate ladder.  Something stirred inside me when I read that book in
November 1993.  It was the beginning of a journey, the spark that changed
everything!  Amazing that it took until 2009 in Ottawa with Diane Gibeault
and Joanne Mantha when I first experienced Open Space for me to unleash the
power and purpose of my own leadership with others -- a leadership that is
about vulnerability and invitation, rolling up our sleeves together and
jumping into life.

I pulled out the Stewardship book a few minutes ago, smiling at all that is
underlined and highlighted, with notes in the margin everywhere. With a
passion to invent and invite "new work in a new economy" in our
organizations and corporations, I know that this book will stir my soul
again in the most grounded way. It will give me the courage to continue
inviting our corporate leaders to open space so that the workplace can
become the communities we need them to be.

I quote this brief paragraph from Stewardship on page 43
"Stewardship is the willingness to work on ourselves first, to stay in
intimate contact with those around us, to own our doubts and limitations,
and make them part of our dialogue with others. Our humanness is defined
more by our vulnerability than our strengths. This is something different
from leading from the heart, or walking our talk, or articulating a vision".

On another note, for those interested in transforming organizations and the
workplace, you may want to check out "Conscious
Capitalism"http://www.consciouscapitalism.org/
<http://www.consciouscapitalism.org/>Claudia Alarcon, from the Scrum world
in technology who I met in Orlando when Harrison facilitated there,
introduced me to this organization and movement. Claudia and I have since
become Open Space playmates.

Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group