[OSList] Any experience with short OST

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:52:16 PDT 2012

I was asked to introduce OST to the student leadership group of a
local community college. I was given an hour at lunch!

At first I didn't want to offer any experience of the process in such
a short time. But when the morning arrived I chose to go for it. The
introduction that I typically use already includes a story about the
development of the process (the coffee breaks story, not the martinis
story) and I simply extended the story a little bit as a way of making
an introduction to what we would do.

It was easy to come up with a theme - issues and opportunities around
student leadership at X college - and we held two 15 minute breakout
sessions for the gathered group of about 15 people.

The closing circle went around once, and then was then extended for
some reflections on the process and its implications as a laboratory
for acts of leadership - a big topic for me these days - and the
possibilities of a longer meeting should they choose to give it more
time.

The sponsors made a nice DVD of it (not including the breakouts nor
the participants' part of the closing circle) which I'm trying to
figure out how to upload. Anybody have any ideas?

I'm continually appreciative of the flexibility of OST and found that
this group had some interesting and productive conversations and
insights even in this short time. Of course I don't recommend anything
less than 2.5 or 3 hours for a meeting that gets some juices flowing.

warmly
Jeff
San Francisco