[OSList] Any experience with short OST

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Jun 10 09:07:51 PDT 2012

Catherine - I know you have made your plans. And Plans can change. Here are
some thoughts that might move the changes along. First - The best
Presentation on Open Space is "Do it!" Nothing else comes even close. Second
- Doing a Presentation about Open Space before an Open Space creates all
sorts of difficulties, none of which you want. No matter what you say, no
matter how good you are - whatever you say will just confuse people. If they
have never experienced Open Space, they simply won't believe you. And if
they have had the experience, they don't need the explanation. Even worse, a
Presentation up front will inevitably put the people in a "head" mode,
thinking about the process. They will be wondering about other processes,
potential modifications, what "they" say in the literature. All good
thoughts, but definitely not needed at the onset of an Open Space. Just get
on with the business, do what comes naturally, and forget about the process.
After all it works all by itself. No help needed. And don't try doing "just
a little bit of Open Space" It is always frustrating, because just about the
time you get rolling, it is time to stop. If these people really want to
Celebrate - Go for it and make sure they have plenty of time/space for the
occasion!

And then if they really want a Presentation, do it at the end. I assume you
will have a closing circle and after the people have shared their comments,
ask them by way of summary "What did you notice particularly about our time
together that was strange, new, surprising, different? I think you will find
that the People as a whole will create a marvelous presentation, and of
course you can comment if you care to.

Trust me. You won't be disappointed.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: