[OSList] debut in NZ

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Sun Jun 10 00:47:42 PDT 2012

Great story...and I think we have to warn people that running your first
big Open Space will almost certainly require about 18 hours of sleep the
following night, just so folks can be prepared!

Well done all...

Chris

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Kerry Napuk <knapuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Listers
>
> I would like to share the experience of a friend in Keri Keri, North
> Island, New Zealand on 7 June when he opened his first space.  Kim's sole
> preparation was attending one of my events in Edinburgh a zillion years
> ago, a cry for help when he volunteered to help his newly elected member to
> Parliament who wanted to host two economic summits, a copy of my manual THE
> LARGE GROUP FACILITATOR'S GUIDE (Gower, 2003) and an hour on Skype.
>
> I feel you will agree it was quite a debut!
>
> Here is Kim's email report after the event:
>
> Cheers
>
> Kerry
> Edinburgh
>
> Hi Kerry,
>>

> Well yesterday I DID IT!!!  220 people including 2 Cabinet Ministers and 4
> other ministers.  Several Iwi tribal leaders and lots of Maori attending
> (insisting on changes to the Agenda 10 minutes before starting).  But it
> ran to plan, everyone embraced the process, we got interesting and good
> results (that I still have to condense and analyse), and I received nothing
> but compliments and gratitude from top down.  SO a BIG thanks to YOU for
> the manual and encouragement. The venue was crawling with secret service
> people too. The first 45 minutes really pushed my comfort zone right to the
> edge - I wanted to be anywhere but there. After everyone got busy in
> break-out groups, I went for a coffee in the bar and sat down to chew the
> fat with our Finance Minister and Energy & Resources Minister for about 15
> minutes.  A surreal day.  That night the cabinet club of about thirty
> persons went to nearby Russell for drinks and dinner with the Ministers and
> had a fun, grand evening.  Yesterday was my day in the limelight, and I
> enjoyed it!
>
> On 10 July we do it all over again, complete with different ministers,
> this time looking for solutions and action plans.
>
> So buddy, I just wanted to share my Open Space news with you.  But I'm
> absolutely shattered and going to bed now!
>
> All the best,
> Kim

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Facilitation - Training - Process Design
Open Space Technology

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

*Upcoming workshops*
Art of Hosting
November 12-15, 2012, Bowen Island, BC, Canada.
(email me for more information)
YET: the improv-based facilitation course you have always wanted to take!