[OSList] two questions about OST nested in a larger conference

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Jul 29 15:46:18 PDT 2012

Well if it isn't the fabulous Chris Weaver !
Your presence is felt in much of the work I do -and- I use your
invitation text (strategic plan for Swannanoa) in both my The Power of
Pre-Work workshop and my Open Space Learning Workshop.
Welcome back, you inspiration.
Although I know you have been here in spirit all along.

I do a lot of OS work in conferences and a lot with youth.
Here is what I have learned - and of course other colleagues on the
list may see and do it wonderfully differently.

a) So so hard to have a concurrent OS - running at the same time as a
larger conference - if the young people also have to give workshops or
attend the larger conference.
Hard to hold the space, challenging for folks wandering in and out to
feel what is happening (in the same collectively-held way as the
others who are already in the room), hard for the young people (smart
as they are) to remember when to show back up in the OS room because
they are living in the now and often lose track of time. Not a
catastrophe, because great things always happen - just harder for the
facilitator. Me, at least.

b) Physical space - if the young people are also participating in the
larger conference - think about how to keep that 'hidden' space
present for them. Once I gave everybody pocket cards to share and pass
with / to their friends that said where and when and gave the energy
of the OS event. Plus fun signage in the halls etc. Low tech and
effective.

c) Inviting others to flow in and out and look at the wall,
participate, etc. As much as I love engaging the whole system - in the
conferences where I have done a youth conference-within-a-conference -
the youth have consistently said that it was so amazing to have a
youth-only space. Youth-only meaning: they loved having a facilitator
who was older than them as witness-without-telling-them - so you don't
have to be the same culture as the participants. But youth-only
meaning - the only other adults that are allowed into the space are
those one or two or four who are specifically invited by a youth
participant to come into the room. Like one time when the young people
wanted to talk to an adult who had been in the military for something
they were working on in OS. Another time they wanted to talk about
aging and include someone older than them. All by invitation at the
event and rather spontaneously done as-needed. To me - especially in a
mixed-age conference it is HUGE to give youth their own self-led
space. In all ways. And this is true for other countries I have worked
in as well.

I guess the question is why. How does it serve the youth. What is the
objective of this youth conference-within-a-conference session. And
the conference as a whole. And I would design according to that.

d) Let the adults know of the cool things happening in the room in
some other way. They'll find that the cutting edge topics happened in
the youth space rather than the main conference. Posting those topics
out can happen after the conference or during but of course it does
not have to be your job to do that because your job is to hold space
for what's happening in the youth OS room.

c) To me, young people are no different than adults: if documentation
is not obvious / apparent / seen - it does not get done. Even if a
community is very high-tech or tech-oriented. There is no felt space.
No noticing that yes, others are documenting so I guess I should get
my notes in too. Even in a high-tech environment I always place a
physical newsroom with a few laptops and signage to remind peoples'
minds and bodies of the presence of documentation. Even when people
say 'oh we all use GoogleDocs' you can see how nobody is turning aside
to post notes - they are mostly taking notes for themselves. And
here's the biggest thing - to me: Each time you adjust or 'improve' or
change something - something else shifts. Which is fine. But just know
what you are shifting and then make your decision - that's what I
remind myself when thinking of these things. So in eliminating a 'take
your notes on paper, then go to the Newsroom and transcribe them' -
you are eliminating the ability of someone to re-write the notes for
the 'outside reader' (someone not in their group discussion) - not in
shorthand but in a way that shows responsibility for knowledge-sharing
across the groups; you are eliminating the ability of someone to think
again about their experience as they transcribe - thus further
integrating their experience; you are eliminating the 'come here and
sit with me at the Newsroom - let's talk about these notes'; you are
eliminating your paper back-up system (should computers fry - which
they have done).  Those are reasons I often prefer going with a
laptops Newsroom if laptop technology is available. Or graphic
templates or some other thing that make it more than a flipchart:
because I notice that most things folks draw on flip-charts have
meaning to the group that was there when it was created - but others
wish for just a little bit of text so they can understand, too. So
perhaps a graphic template with a little box for some descriptive text?

d) Of course documentation design also depends on the group culture
and capacity, how the information / ideas might be used post-event,
how participants might be able to access the information, and so many
more things.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (hmmm...new
technology...scratched cd?) - those are the many interconnected
elements we talk about and explore in my Power of Pre-Work workshop -
which is coming up next month in San Francisco. I don't know if you
have resources for travel Chris but housing is very cheap if you need
it (a great hostel) and registration is pay-the-most-you-can so if you
time and resources allow - join us and we'll all explore together !
(let me know and I can send you more information - dates below).

I look forward to hearing others' experiences that might inform Chris
and I'm so glad that these young people will have such a great space-
holder ...

Lisa

The Power of Pre-Work
    - August 8-10, 2012 - San Francisco, USA
The Open Space Learning Workshop / el Taller de Aprendizaje de Espacio
Abierto
    - October 9-11, 2012 - London, United Kingdom
            (before the World Open Space on Open Space in London)
    - December 12-14, 2012 - San Francisco, USA
    - In English y en español: 2013 dates and countries to be announced