[OSList] Dealing with conflicts

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Wed Jul 25 14:51:54 PDT 2012

Dear Marie Ann,
"Practice of Peace" is all packed up and ready to fly to Stockholm, but,
alas, I dont have your postal address.
Please send it to me at mmpanne at boscop.org
or
include yourself in the Open Space Worldmap
> http://www.openspaceworldmap.org/

go to MENU and there to WANT TO INCLUDE YOURSELF?

Craigs question got me mulling and looking at my experience... returning
to the expectations of the sponsor (forget my expectations!). As long as
the expectations of the sponsor are voiced and as long as I as
facilitator can say "all of them will be met" or "this one will be met
but not that one" or "if you want all of them met you need the following
conditions" (the last one can be tough or sticky, especially if I am
eager to get the contract because I have a family to feed and hate to
say "no", thats usually where failure sets in)... and still, this is the
amazing resilience of the os process, it will "work" every time that
selforganisation gets a chance to do its thing. And the only way to shut
that process down is exerting control (if the sponsor or a participant
gets into that business - also called "space invader" - I as facilitator
am challenged and need to intervene by either doing nothing or
intervening in another appropriate way that selforganisation can
continue its business... as someone has pointed out, this is the
situation in which you really know why you get paid to be a facilitator).
Ok, this is all a bunch of advice from an old hand... would love to hear
of situations where sponsors or participants were unhappy or os did not
deliver...

Greetings from a hot summer night in Berlin
mmp