[OSList] Dealing with conflicts

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 16:11:42 PDT 2012

Hi Marie Ann,

Great story, Peggy!

Four years ago, I worked with the Learning and Development division of a multinational corporation, which wanted to unify L&D across what had once been 8 separate, competing companies, which had been acquired and merged into one enterprise.  As you can imagine, each of the 8 groups had separate cultures, lexicons, practices, beliefs and each felt threatened by the others.

I worked with a small design team of 4 L&D folks, two of whom were immediately onboard and two of whom were respectfully skeptical.  Due to the high level of conflict in the system, they chose to use what I call Methods for Strategic Collaboration, which uses the 5 phases of Appreciative Inquiry as the change map and blends AI, World Cafe and Open Space as the primary containers for conversation.
Define:  The topic for the inquiry was One L&D
Discover:  They used system-wide Appreciative Interviews before the 3 day event and during opening night to identify strengths and their positive core that they would be building on.  By the end of that first night, there was a palpably different energy in the room - emotions were calmed and many were feeling a sense of possibility
Dream:  On day two they had a panel in the morning along with a World Cafe to develop dreams of their future.  By the end of the morning, folks were tremendously engaged and excited about the visions posted around the room.
Design:  I opened the space in the afternoon to focus on designing the systems and practices that would bring their dreams to life.  As you can imagine, Open Space created the biggest shift - people caught fire and were self-organizing across former boundaries.
Destiny:  After reading the Book of Proceedings at breakfast on day three, we opened the space again for next steps planning.  The outputs and action commitments made the whole thing real.  They were working together as one enterprise and they were thrilled.

In the closing circle, the most skeptical design team member said, "We haven't just unified L&D, we've become a tribe!"

Thanks for reminding me of that story, Marie Ann.  Warm wishes to you and the community you are serving.
Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez, Partner
Innovation Partners International
Phoenix, AZ, USA ~ 480.759.0262