[OSList] Access Queen asks for your shared resources for this year's WOSonOS Askers

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sat Jul 14 15:58:05 PDT 2012

Hello, OSLIST colleagues -

As many of you know, each year for the WOSonOS I encourage us to share
resources so several people (usually from outside that year's WOSonOS
geographic region and of lower financial abilities) can join us for
mutual learning.  My project is not a funding organization - so it
cannot cover for example the cost of a plane ticket. Instead I like to
create opportunity out of community as together we gather who has -
and who needs - just one more thing that makes the difference and
allows another colleague to join us. Some years ago the late great
Laurel Doersam nicknamed me Access Queen - because of my passion for
inviting access and inclusion through our actions and shared resources.

_____

Access Queen 'Givers' - those of you who have resources to share:

- If you register for the WOSonOS and pay a higher price - you help
the Host Team's resource pool to cover the costs for everyone,
regardless of their individual financial abilities. Everyone pays the
most they can - and some pay a little extra, because they can.

- If you reserve a hotel room with two beds - and wish to offer one to
an Asker for free - thanks for letting Lorraine (the WOSonOS2012
Registrar) know: lorraine at improbable.co.uk . Hi, Lorraine!

- If you have some extra money to contribute - whether or not you are
coming to the WOSonOS this year - contact me directly at lisaheft at openingspace.net
  . You can also contribute via PayPal to that same address - be sure
to write in the Notes section that it is for the Access Queen project.
Pocket money for those with less resources means the ability to take
public transit or join a colleague for a coffee. Any money not used
each year carries over to support individuals in the next year - so
you know that anything you contribute goes to helping worthy
colleagues share OS learning across the world.

- If you have a business or other funding connection that could cover
the cost of a plane flight for someone from outside the European
region - contact me directly at lisaheft at openingspace.net - I will let
you know about a specific sponsorship situation I have been working on.

- If you live in London, perhaps can offer an extra bed, a transit
pass, or a ride. If so, do let Lorraine know.

- At each WOSonOS we continue our resource-raising efforts with the
Global Village Marketplace and Silent Auction - tables full of
wonderful things we each bring, offer or send (shawls, poetry, books,
on-site neck massages, lunchtime capoeira class). We sell these to
each other at the event. So feel free to bring or send along something
from your village or community to sell - even if you cannot join us
this time. Last year in Chile we had a lively marketplace with
everything from soap to poetry books to hand-made jewelry to fine
wine. All funds raised go into the project for next year's Askers.

-----

Access Queen Askers - those of you who have almost enough resources to
come to this year's WOSonOS but just need a little more help from your
community:

- Make an itemized list of funds you have raised from multiple sources
- resources you already have, and the costs you project for each item
you still seek. Much information for your cost research is on the
wosonos2012 website. Write a paragraph about your OS learning and
experience. Share this with everyone you know as part of your resource-
raising project. The people who tend to get funded by their peers are
those who can really show they have generated multiple and creative
resources of their own and who have clearly investigated real costs
and options.

- Ask Lorraine questions via the wosonos2012 site if something is not
clear to you. Note that registration fee is pay-the-most-you can. So
if you do not see a price you can afford, name one. If you need a home-
stay - ask for it.

- Ask me for a copy of the 'ideas for raising resources' paper if you
have not already seen that on the OSLIST. Adapt it to your own
country, culture and community - and have fun raising resources
creatively!

-----

Our thanks to you generous Givers and spirited courageous Askers,

Lisa Heft (also know as Access Queen)