[OSList] The Power of Pre-Work - August 8-10, San Francisco

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Jul 2 17:56:46 PDT 2012

Hello, dear colleagues -

This is a message about an upcoming workshop for those of you in or
around or visiting California next month: The Power of Pre-Work -
August 8-10 in San Francisco.

I invite you to join me for this learning experience - which is not
particular to Open Space but for any face-to-face dialogue approach we
may use: Lessons learned and shared about pre-work.
Thanks in advance for sharing the word - through email, tweets, other
social networks, or face-to-face over a good beverage with your
friends, clients and colleagues.
I look forward to learning with and from you there - Lisa

- - - -

(I reflect upon some of the diverse dialogue events I have facilitated
and the elements of pre-work that led to their success - including a
multi-language, multi-culture national immigrant and refugee farmer
conference, a series of 2000+ participant youth ministry conferences,
a national conference which introduced dialogue to help participants
name diverse and conflicting points of view in their field, a meeting
of international health workers sharing best practices across country
and culture, a retreat for a global information technology department
generating ideas for their corporate strategic plan, environmental
advocates birthing a new global organization, HIV/AIDS educators
developing mission, vision and a shared values statement for their non-
profit organization, six international agencies collaborating on how
to spend a billion dollar budget - and other examples of high
productivity, creativity and partnership and meaningful outcomes in
meetings based on dialogue methods and processes.  What supported the
success of these events?  Not my magic jewel-like words and insights -
instead, a thorough analysis to select the appropriate tool, plus
ongoing conversations with the client teams about everything from
issues and objectives to site, food, documentation, invitation and
outreach, follow-up and more - with every one of these elements
affecting or supporting dialogue.  To me, the pre-work is essential -
and yet, everyone tells me they do not get this sort of training in
their academic programs or other facilitation training. So I decided
to host a workshop to share best practices and lessons learned about
the pre-work.)

- - - -

Join us - register now - for
The Power of Pre-Work
For people of all levels of experience

August 8-10, 2012

San Francisco, California USA

Facilitated by Lisa Heft
Fellow, Columbia University's Center for International Conflict
Resolution
Adjunct Faculty, Sonoma State University Organization Development
Program
President Emerita, Open Space Institute US

- - - -

Facilitating face-to-face staff meetings, community gatherings,
planning sessions, conferences and committees:

It is not just about showing up and doing some sort of magic
facilitation on the day of the event.

Learn how thoughtful, thorough pre-work can support the success of a
dialogue event.

For people of all levels of experience - although you will be able to
retain more of your learning about pre-work if you already do some
facilitation work

Whether you facilitate using Open Space Technology, the World Cafe,
Future Search, or other tools, processes and methods with and without
names - everything in the full system of your event affects and
impacts everything else. Share what you have learned and learn more
about all of the elements of Pre-Work. It is all part of an ecology of
interrelated elements.

Pricing - as always - is flexible - custom tailored to what you as an
individual can contribute and afford.

For more information on content, schedule and pricing overview and to
register,
Contact me directly at
lisaheft at openingspace.net

I look forward to learning with and from you,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Opening Space