[OSList] Charrette and Open Space ?

Julie Stuart Julie at MakingIdeasVisible.com
Tue Jan 31 18:53:51 PST 2012

I'm also familiar with charettes from architectural clients. It is indeed a
collaborative process using a team of design experts. From my experience,
it tends to be a top-down process that allows the public to contribute to a
certain extent but not self-organized in the way we know OS to be.

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM, David Osborne
<dosborne at change-fusion.com>wrote:

> I'm familiar with charettes from architectural clients I have and believe
> this is an approach architecte's use. From what I understand they will
> establish a set time frame - An afternoon for example - give the design
> challenge and then have individuals or teams all working on designs. They
> then collect everyone's designs and then share to look at the various
> approaches to inform the eventual design. the term itself may be from the
> architectural field.
>
> David
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Eva P Svensson <eva at epshumaninvest.se>wrote:
>
>> Hi all wise people!
>> Anyone having experience from a method called charrette? When I looked it
>> up on Wikipedia it says this:
>>
>> "A *charrette* is a method of organizing thoughts from experts and the
>> users into a structured medium that is unrestricted and conducive to the
>> creativity and the development of myriad scenarios.
>>
>> The word *charrette* may refer to any collaborative session in which a
>> group of designers <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designers> drafts a
>> solution to a design problem. While the structure of a charrette varies,
>> depending on the design problem and the individuals in the group,
>> charrettes often take place in multiple sessions in which the group divides
>> into sub-groups. Each sub-group then presents its work to the full group as
>> material for future dialogue <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialogue>.
>> Such charrettes serve as a way of quickly generating a design solution
>> while integrating the aptitudes and interests of a diverse group of people.
>> Compare this term with workshop <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workshop>
>> ."
>>
>> To me it sound very very much like an Open Space meeting! Do you know the
>> difference? Any experiences, thoughts?
>>
>> Hugs from a winter-like Sweden
>>
>> :o)
>>
>> Eva