[OSList] Fw: Charrette and Open Space ?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Jan 31 08:56:06 PST 2012

I experienced it in a road design consultation. Each group worked on a
map of one part of the proposed road design adding comments directly
on the large diagram sheet that covered the table. After 20 min, all
groups remaining the same, went to work at a different table which had
a different section of the road project. Staff later collected all
sheets to compile. There was no group overall discussion at the
setting nor after. What resulted is a list of disconnected ideas. It's
a start for a consultation but it misses the connections so stronger
and more complete picture can be derived. That's the important part.

I experienced it as another form of brainstorming, very similar to
World Café. That may have been an adapted use of the method by the
organizers, I am not sure. In my view, an OS is definitely needed
instead of or after such an exercise to get real collective
intelligence. - Dianne Gibeault

 From your description, Diane, I agree.
So often people use disconnected parts / process / method and it is so
much more productive - in my experience - when the overall design
(including the chain of events, not just a single meeting) is analyzed
and the tools are selected to fit the objectives / context / what will
be done with the information generated at the meeting or chain of
meetings.

Christine - one of the most wonderful experiences I had was working
with you and the team designing and facilitating parts of the 51st
Girl Scout Convention. This to me was an excellent example of
analyzing what was needed, for whom, in what time frame, to what end,
and so on - and having an overall design that provided various
dialogue processes where they supported the work of the group. Amazing.

Is it a good time to say...? Dear colleagues who can join us - I look
forward to hearing more experiences and sharing more thoughts with you
in-person at the Open Space on Open Space this March 14-16 in San
Francisco...

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
Fellow, Columbia University Center for International Conflict Resolution
Opening Space
lisaheft at openingspace.net