[OSList] Open Space on private Mediation in Portugal on 3. /4. Febr. - coming soon!....

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 14:05:17 PST 2012

Junta – Not to worry. Just remember the 1st Principle! Whoever comes are the right people. Really, it is not about “how many” but rather about Who Cares. If it is 12 – that is the perfect number.

A long time ago I was asked to open space for a group of institutions that were about to merge. I think some 20 people from the several organizations indicated they were coming, but on the day of the event we had a snow storm. A big one. Five people made it through the blizzard. And what to do?

Not having had a great deal of experience with Open Space at that point (it was long, long time ago!) I was a little worried. Of course we could have canceled and everybody could have gone back out into the snowy night… But that seemed a little extreme. So we thought to give it a try. I did say that I didn’t quite know what would happen, if anything but – once we sat in the circle, created the bulletin board, opened the market place – Wham! They went to work!!

Frankly I was blown away but none of the participants, so far as I could tell, were at all concerned. Truth of the matter was that they were being too productive and having too much fun to even think about all the reasons why it could not work. Fortunately we had representation from all the organizations – and as far as the Open Space went – it was just like usual. That group met in every permutation of “5” – 2-3, 4-1, etc. and all 5 together. The closing circle was intense – and the merger took place – right then in spirit, and several days later, in fact.

So no worries my friends. Works just like always!

Have fun.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.