[OSList] Training

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 09:22:12 PST 2012

Lisa - Back on "Training" - that marvelous thread you initiated, or majorly
contributed to, way back yonder. You said," Well...I will adjust that - I
have seen this process - or some things called Open Space - done terribly."
I don't doubt that for a minute, but I would make a further "adjustment."
Maybe it is just semantics - but I would have to say that I have never seen
Open Space done well or terribly - for a very simple reason. I don't believe
we "do" Open Space. More accurately, Open Space DOES us!

You will understand that I am back on my old soap box talking about
self-organization but I believe the point is a critical one. If Open Space
"works" simply and only because self-organization works, as it has for 13.7
billion years - then all of our "doing" has little if any effect. We didn't
create it, design it, least of all "do" it. The simple truth of the matter
is that, left to its own devices, self-organization does quite well all by
itself. It is a completely natural act, it is what we are and do at the most
fundamental levels. Problems arise when we try to organize things, for
reasons altruistic or nefarious. Organizing a self organizing system is
never a good idea. If nothing else it is a waste of time and energy.

What we do do -- and it is not nothing - is to invite people to remember
what they already know, to be what they already are. The invitation is
short, sweet, and from the heart, but there is nothing to learn, no arcane
expertise required on the part of the participants or the facilitator. It is
absolutely true - Anybody with a good heart and good head can "do" it. No
advanced training required!

The story, of course, does not end with the event. And indeed, there is a
lot to learn from the experience, albeit much of that "learning" is really
UN-learning. And we can be very helpful, which is nice if only because that
means we are not out of a job. Lots to do, having nothing to do with "doing
a process."

At the core, it is all about weaning ourselves from our sever addiction to
the illusion of control. Just think about all the strictures, procedures,
and processes we have designed to maintain control! Call it the "Corporate
Structure" for short - but I honestly feel that if we were to set ourselves
the task of designing a perfect system for eliminating innovation and
creativity, to say nothing of making people feel generally miserable - we
simply couldn't have done any better. And when we hear participants say how
good Open Space feels ("I've come home") that has nothing to do with the
brilliance of the "process" or our incredible skills as a facilitator. It is
simply that they have stopped beating their heads against the wall. It is
amazing how good you feel if you just stop beating your head against the
wall!

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org