[OSList] open space in roberts rules of order?

Justin T. Sampson justin at krasama.com
Fri Jan 20 13:33:50 PST 2012

Ah! Why is this the day I left my copy of *Robert's Rules* at home? I
usually have it next to my desk at the office, and have never needed to
refer to it before. :)

I'm pretty sure that a committee of the whole does have a chairperson; I
think that the phrase "the presiding officer remains in the chair" for
*quasi-committee
of the whole* simply means that in a proper *committee of the
whole*someone else steps in as chairperson.

However, I think you're on the right track. Remember that every
organization that uses *Robert's Rules* has its own rules and traditions
added on. Captain Robert just provided a container. I see his *Rules* as an
useful safety-valve: If a participant thinks things are going unfairly,
there's a procedure to raise an objection, and so forth.

If you dig back in the archives you'll see that I played with a slightly
inverted form of this idea (just look for one of my own most recent
messages, in which I gave a link to an older conversation). As chair of an
organization, I facilitated a meeting in Open Space and then simply offered
a *Robert's Rules*-governed session myself in the last time slot just in
case anything came up needing formal approval of the body.

I'm sure doing it as you suggest would work great, as well. The motion to
create a committee of the whole could simply be altered to create an open
space instead. Follow the proper voting and objection procedures to approve
the motion, and set an end-time at which *Robert's Rules* will be brought
back into play to wrap up the meeting.

By the way, I've read that Captain Robert himself was an expert
facilitator. Votes in his meetings were rarely contentious and often
unanimous, because he gave sufficient space for dialogue before even
considering voting. Food for thought!

Cheers,
Justin