[OSList] trainings on NON-VIOLENCE

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 09:27:37 PST 2012

Hi Frauke, and Claudia,

the Training for Change website that I linked was founded by social change
agents, who originally worked with Dr. King and later were involved in
nonviolent social movements in many countries. They have expertise In the
dynamics of large-scale nonviolent action in an entire society, as well as
the practices of nonviolence in groups and in specific direct actions etc.

One key resource is MAP, the Movement Action Plan, created by Bill Moyer
who died in 2002. it's a map of 8 developmental stages in nonviolent social
change movements.

Bill noticed that the "take-off" stage of a movement is full of exciting
energy and spontaneous organization, civil disobedience and lots of media
attention. This is when a movement puts itself into the public spotlight.
There are specific goals for this stage 4, which MAP describes.

after a period of time, because of long hours and burnout, and the limits
of spontaneous organizations, the movement is called to shift to a longer
term strategy, and to develop organizational forms that will support
activists and reformers/transformers and active citizens for the long haul.
MAP is intended to help activists decide when is the best time to make this
shift, based on achieving the goals of one stage and shifting to the next
stage.

I notice this pattern in the Occupy movements, and am excited that the arts
of hosting and cafe and open space and convening, etc, are being explored
as forms that can support such a shift.

One exciting thing I notice: it used to take 1-2 years for a movement to
reach the goals of "take-off" stage and be ready to shift into the stage of
building a majority movement. However, it seems Occupy and movements in
Egypt and other places have reached those goals in just a few months! I
think this is because of social media, and because the time is ripe in the
world.

warmly
Jeff

On Tuesday, January 17, 2012, Frauke Godat <frauke.godat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Birgitt,
> Just in regards to your question around why focussing on non-violence,
here are some of my thoughts:
> There have been internal and systemic conflicts within the Occupy and
Real Democracy movement throughout the world. I have written this blog
article about it in December (based on an article from The Future of Occupy
blog):
http://streethostingberlin.posterous.com/occupy-camps-dealing-with-internal-and-system

> Also, some of us from Art of Hosting Berlin have been attending 2
planning meetings for an Occupy Berlin World Café/OpenSpace. Working
together with the calling team and communication there has been very much
dominated by anger, fear, control, violence (in language), and deep
national trauma.
> Transforming this energy non-violently into positive creation processes,
I find the most challenging at the moment...

birgitt at dalarinternational.com> wrote:

>> Dear Claudia,
>>
>> I am intrigued that the desire is for trainings and events on
NON-VIOLENCE. I am eager to hear from you why this is the focus. With the
current knowledge coming out of positive psychology, might it not be more
advantageous to focus on trainings and methods that lead to peace, harmony,
being in genuine contact with one another? I do recommend our Whole Person
Process Facilitation for leading meetings that are intended for people to
be in genuine contact, tap into collective intelligence, and move on to the
natural state of humans: peace.

http://www.dalarinternational.com/genuine-contact-program/advanced-workshops/whole-person-process-facilitation

oslist-bounces at lists.openspacetech.org] On Behalf Of Dr. Claudia Gross
>> Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 4:19 PM
>> To: oslist at lists.openspacetech.org
>> Subject: [OSList] trainings on NON-VIOLENCE
>>

>> Dear OS friends all over the world!
>>
>> In Egypt, we are going to celebrate the 1st Anniversary of last year's
revolution on 25th of January.
>> I hope the whole world will join us in these celebrations :-)
>>
>> With regard to this occasion, I am posting three different questions
that are not directly related to Open Space...