[OSList] Occupy OST: Sonoma County

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Thu Jan 12 11:49:24 PST 2012

Thanks Jeff,

I note that the assignment of the three facilitators is now ended. I also
think it would be wise if it could continue a while longer. This is a great
opportunity to demonstrate that what surfaces in an OST meeting can achieve
results, beyond an enthusiastic meeting. It is also, in my experience, where
the work gets really tough as the recommendations, themes, and enthusiasm
from the event hit the reality of existing structures (beliefs and patterns)
such as the ones that you refer to.the explicit structures plus the implicit
ones. They always seem to exist.

I would recommend to be very invitational in who works with the data, even
in clustering it.

I would call another meeting, with the reports in hand, possibly clustered,
as well as any other information that is deemed useful and relevant.

And then I would open the space again, after a reading circle time, for
people to post topics from the reports (whether a whole report or a single
idea from a report) for which they feel passion and are willing to take
leadership to move it forward. And then do the usual posting to create an
agenda wall, breakout groups around the topics, etc. The difference is that
this is not new topics to be explored, but topics that have already been
raised and discussed and now the task is commitment to action. I would have
a template for the groups for their reports from this. And then, from this,
there would be more clarity about a group of champions for topic specific
action that could be convened as a council. How this would work in relation
to the existing structures would need to be worked out in some kind of
'cross cutting' concept.

The challenge of moving items into action when existing leadership and
structures could get in the way includes different competencies for
leadership including relationship capacity, collaboration, and being able to
handle content that is cross cutting.

I would pursue 'what' needs to be done and the very important 'how' so that
the how remains invitational, inclusive, participative, within liberating
rather than confining structures.

Blessings,

Birgitt