[OSList] brainstorming and open space

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Wed Feb 8 04:37:51 PST 2012

Dear Lisa,
I stumbled myself with the notion that open space, as some other tools,
is a tool for generating ideas. Generating ideas is not a bad idea and
it may happen, too, in open space. What I have observed repeatedly is
that OST expands time and space for the unfolding of the forces of
selforganisation, something I have not observed so overtly with any
other approach.
The "signs" for me, aside from generating ideas (come ot think of it, I
have rarely seen just "ideas" generated in open space but rather stuff
such as action) are:
-navigating in a complex environment
-investing in community
-leading (one, several, all, some at one time, others at other times)
-taking action
-striking deals
-collaborating
-
-
Granted, all this stuff happens in every day life (ungoing open space)
but it does come in a deluge in OST settings I have experienced.

I also stumbled myself with the notion of overwhelmed clients. Maybe the
client as a person (like the guy who pays my fee) is occasionally
overwhelmed, frustrated, full of fear of losing control etc. but the
"system" (assembled body, group) I never find overwhelmed, seems it can
navigate slews of raw data or whatever we find to be overwhelming with ease.
I often get the sense, that facilitators are overwhelmed, especially
when I see this happen to me. Its a wonderful sign telling me to step
back, take a break, get out of the way, not mess with selforganisation...

Cheers, see you in London in October!
mmp

PS: By the way, any rumors on where the WOSonOS in 2013 will be? (If I
recollect the sacred rules, its supposed to be neither in Europe nor in
the Americas but in "another" place)