[OSList] Space. Wonderful Space!

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Wed Feb 1 13:37:45 PST 2012

Hi Harrison,
This piece is very useful. If there is one thing people often associate OS with when trying to describe it it's brainstorming.

Many see a connection between throwing out ideas without order and the OS announcement of topics and the look of chaos at the market place. They miss a very important distinction. In OS topics are well thought out and are anchored in passion and the biggest distinction of all I think: they are tied to responsibility.

The research on the effectiveness - or lack of - of these two methods and the similarity in the success factors of the Building 20 method and Open Space can be just the nudge that some sponsors need to get out of their comfort zone and make the leap.

Thanks for this nugget Harrison,
Diane

 review of the Creativity Literature, brainstorming came in pretty much dead last. It turns out that other factors (not a lack of criticism) enhance the creative output, including such things as diversity of opinion, random associations, lack of a plan, multiple interest groups, etc – and perhaps most important a space that permits and encourages all of that. “Space” here is not just physical space, but would include cyberspace, intellectual space – but at the end of the day, at least for Jonah, physical space (as in buildings) is what he concentrates on. One might presume that the best of such physical space would be elegant, clean, rationally organized, well provisioned, carefully planned etc. But it turns out that the “winner-take-all” structure was an anomalous monstrosity known a Building 20.