[OSList] Re Opening Space Again

Francis Loughheed loughheed at cogeco.ca
Mon Dec 3 17:01:19 PST 2012

Larry,

I was most fascinated with your account of opening space for the United
Church of Canada.  About 20 years ago, I was sitting in the Fellowship
Room at Trinity United Church in Kingston, Ontario and saw a sign
labelled "The Four Rules of Meetings".  The rules were: Whoever showed
up are the right people, Whatever gets discussed is the right
discussion, Whatever gets decided is the right decision, And, when it is
done - it is over.  I wrote them down, and used those rules in any
number of community consultations across Eastern and Northern Ontario.
Three summers ago, I attended the funeral of a family friend at Trinity
United in Kingston.  Following the service, I met the current Pastor and
told him my story.  He suggested I explore Open Space and Harrison Owen
- when I did, I realized I had arrived at "home".   Diane Gibault's
training workshop gave me a very solid foundation on the Open Space
process and I have had the priviledge of Opening Space for a number of
clients.  Including, wonderfully enough last week,  with the County of
Frontenac which surrounds the City of Kingston.  From your story and my
experience, it would suggest that the United Church of Canada has been
using Open Space for some time.

Congratulation on the success of your event and thanks for sharing your
story.

Cheers,

Francis

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday Harrison - you influenced my life long
before I came to know you!

--
Francis Loughheed MBA
Consultant - Facilitator
Email:  loughheed at cogeco.ca
Blog:    anexcellenceagenda.blogspot.com