[OSList] Conversation today with Brian Burt of MaestroConference

Brian Burt brian.burt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 02:12:25 PDT 2012

Thanks Harold.
> I think if they would allow people to move themselves by some simple
interface into the different rooms

We definitely have that in mind and so appreciate people contributing with
hearts and minds

Harold & All: How would you see the initial segment of collectively
brainstorming/proposing topics and landing on a schedule, especially with
hundreds (or more) of participants?  (pardon my ignorance of the terms)

We'll be digging in later but I welcome more thoughts.

Thank you,

On Aug 24, 2012 9:38 PM, "Harold Shinsato" <harold at shinsato.com> wrote:

> Hi Suzanne,
>
> Thanks for pursuing this possibility with Maestro. I think I gave some
input about this earlier. I find that the model that I experienced of
Maestro conference was that it was optimized for people giving workshops
who would then control the breakout groups.

> For Open Space, it doesn't seem to work well to put this decision making
process into the hands of the facilitator. It loses the self-organizing
feel.

> I think if they would allow people to move themselves by some simple
interface into the different rooms - either with a web interface or by
pressing numbers on the phone (like many people know to press *6 to mute
themselves, something like *9 could give a prompt to ask for a room number)
- you could cheaply and easily get the feeling of open space. Though I'd
suggest having some experiments and then adjusting based on findings.

> I agree with Koos - the simpler the better. I also wonder if there is a
"google hangout" method that could be used to combine voice and video.
Could this be done already? How do you compete with free? In any case,
please include me on the list of people interested. Thanks!

>     Regards,
>     Harold
>

> On 8/24/12 12:53 PM, Suzanne Daigle wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Thanks for being so responsive, brimming with ideas and information,
love the skepticism too!  It is so cool to learn about the work that has
been done over the years to develop an on-line virtual experience of Open
Space.

>> Brian Curt is on this list so he will be seeing these emails in real
time. I'm guessing others at MaestroConference may also be monitoring.

>> Definitely we're not starting from scratch --much has been done and when
you add the powerful and unique features of MaestroConference with their
strategic vision to optimize their technology for Open Space, it gets even
more exciting. We may have the makings for something pretty darn great,
taking us, step by step, to the next level and bringing more Open Space to
the world -- a blend of  face-to-face and enhanced virtual.

>> I don't know what y'all think and I don't mind tracking the names.  At
this "emergent" stage of the game, it would be wonderful if people
continued commenting as posts appear, sharing their thoughts and ideas.
People could also suggest who else should be part of these discussions. I
know the Agile/Scrum Technology community are very invested and aligned
with Open Space. Many OS trailblazers in that community for sure!

>> It  might get chaotic, messy and a bit confusing. Yet if we keep the
conversations going, vibrant and chock-full of ideas and information, it
should lead to a dynamic theme and invitation for the MaestroConference
Virtual Open Visioning Event planned for the early Fall. No doubt we would
have a packed house and we'd certainly be getting a good headstart on
things while managing expectations knowing that we probably won't get this
right immediately.

>> On my end, I just wanted to clarify the bit that I am doing -- being an
equal with all of you, highly receptive to what MaestroConference may be
envisioning,  keeping a list of names, "being prepared to be surprised",
doing less rather than more, and leaving lots of room for OS folks to
self-organize and share leadership on this wonderful project wherever it
leads.

>> Suzanne
>>
>> P.S.  Brian and others at MaestroConference if you reading this, please
check out WOSonOS London (the annual World Open Space on Open Space is in
England this year) from October 11th to the 14th. (thanks Spark!)  We would
love to see you!  Many seasoned Open Space practitioners attending from
across the globe.

thomas at openspaceconsulting.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Suzanne
>>>
>>> Great idea!
>>>
>>> I have done quite a lot of virtual facilitation the last years and have
found a software that gives most of the possibilities that I think are
needed – even if I have only used it with quite small groups. Several of
the people in the Genuine Contact community use it – Blackboard
Collaborate. After testing many many available software we found this which
suits the needs for participative meetings incl Open Space, very well incl
reliability.

oslist-bounces at lists.openspacetech.org] För Suzanne Daigle
>>> Skickat: den 24 augusti 2012 04:50
>>> Till: World wide Open Space Technology email list
>>> Ämne: [OSList] Conversation today with Brian Burt of MaestroConference
>>>

>>> Exciting to imagine! A virtual interface specifically geared to Open
Space. Brian Burt, CEO and Founder of MaestroConference, and I were on the
phone for about 30 minutes this afternoon.  It was a “jump right in” kinda
conversation with lots of give and take.  No doubt about it,
MaestroConference has been giving this some thought and Brian Burt knows
the process, principles and language of Open Space.

>>> In some cases their technology is there and stuff could happen right
away; other things need to be figured out and then of course, you can’t
totally replicate an in-person experience of Open Space so a hybrid virtual
adaptation would need to be developed.

>>> We talked about the big picture of a Virtual Open Space Social Webinar
platform that would allow hundreds and even thousands of people to
participate. We also discussed some of the challenges; for example: “can
you really have a virtual conversation with 50 people on-line engaged in
one topic or would we need to break into smaller groups” and “how could we
manage a post-it board with time and place”.

>>> Brian’s plan, along with other folks at Maestro Conference, is to host
a Virtual Open Visioning Event this Fall inviting lots of people (it would
be terrific if many joined) from the Open Space community and folks in the
technology world (major users of Open Space) to engage in working
conversations around the interface, the implementation, the applications of
where and how a virtual OS could be used, the invitation process and so
much more.

>>> What I was able to convey to Brian is that there are many practitioners
in this worldwide OS community, including the OSI US Board, who are
interested and excited about having a virtual Open Space platform. I’ll be
the first to say that I’m not the expert (nor the leader) in that regard
but I certainly have the passion and am willing to roll up my sleeves with
others to help make it happen.

>>> At Brian’s request, I’ve agreed to lend a hand if people want to advise
off list that they are interested, feel free to email me. You can also do
it publicly on the OS list and I’ll keep track. MaestroConference is also
interested in knowing if anyone has people they’d recommend who should be
invited to the Fall Event.

>>> In anticipation of the Virtual Open Visioning Event being planned,
perhaps we can continue the conversations on our OS list sharing what we
would hope to see, what questions we have, how we may want to contribute to
this  effort. My specific interest related to the virtual technology is
having the ability to host post-events after a face-to-face Open Space,
continuing the conversations and driving some of the actions and
initiatives that participants identified.