[OSList] New Tales from Open Space? (was:Re: Life in Open Space as a "Butterfly")

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:42:24 PDT 2012

Dear Artur,

What you wrote is amazing and coincidental!

This weekend I happened to come across "The Tales from Open
Space"<http://www.openspaceworld.com/Tales.pdf>
and I read it from cover to cover, quickly and savoring every story in it.
I was so grateful for the insights, candor and depth in each of those
articles -- in awe at the generosity of everyone who contributed and
Harrison's short intro notes at the beginning of each . A Global Open Space
treasure!

*I know these stories and tales are as relevant today as they were then*.
This is not to dismiss your suggestion Artur in any way.  I think it is a
fabulous idea -- one that may not require any coordination at least to
start -- perhaps it would suffice to have a place to park or drop  these
stories into almost like a virtual book that is being created one chapter
and one story at a time.  The Tales certainly provide a great model to
follow.  Maybe folks who are techie oriented could suggest
something....including space for videos, pictures and more too. (Thx Koos)

Now that said, here is what my inner voice has been telling me. *JUST DO
IT!  Open Space that is!
*
I know it and I've always known it and I think we, in this community, all
know it too.  *This work is only meaningful and powerful if we all just do
it!

*Yes, we all know that we can't describe or sell Open Space.  It is
something to be experienced and when people do (with all the right
ingredients in place), stuff happens, leadership happens, innovation
happens, creativity and connection happen in ways that are as predictable
as they are unique.

*Another story will not convince anyone*. Though the stories are always
inspiring and wonderful to share and learn from.

*So Artur, I say yes to Stories with a Caveat*.  Let's not wait for these
Stories to be written to jump into Action on Open Space.  Let's all be
inviting and facilitating, more and more...everywhere! Then maybe the
stories that we will be writing will be in "real time": "fresh" and "hugely
relevant" with just as much "depth" and "passion" as the stories of past
events. Right on Kerry, Phelim and all the Improbablese!

A  little over three years ago, I made a commitment to facilitate or
co-facilitate (assist) at least 1 Open Space per month and for over a year
I did just that.  I was fearless then. Now it's time to get back in the
saddle big time. Less writing, less planning, less procrastinating and more
invitation and action. Knocking on doors, picking up the phone, listening a
lot, getting related on the issues, assessing if Open Space is the right
fit for the situation and trusting myself, clients and others. Yes it may
mean rejection...but it will all be worth it because space will open anyway
in the conversations!

My passion has always been to bring Open Space to the Workplace and the
time to do this work has never been so ready, so right and so ripe as
evidenced by Conscious Capitalism
<http://www.consciouscapitalism.org/>which Claudia Alarcon, an Open
Space mate, introduced me to.  It's a
movement of people (leaders and others) who get that business is more than
the bottom line.  The book Firms of
Endearment<http://www.firmsofendearment.com/>co-written by folks
involved in Conscious Capitalism, creates all the
context we should ever need to move forward quickly and purposefully in
Open Space.

Thank you to those who have been telling me to  "*just do it"*.  "I got it
and I'm doing it...starting NOW!"  Dare I say (one) 1 per month...?

*Yes* or perhaps more as"* I do not want to die, a life unlived!" *-- Cause
that's how powerful this process of Open Space has been for me and many
many others before me.

*Suzanne*, the butterfly who is going back to being an industrious bumble
bee.

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group
7159 Victoria Circle