[OSList] Fwd: A new term for 'facilitation'? was: Teach Them to Fish / A Note to My Friends

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 03:14:36 PDT 2012

Eledr

Interestingly, this also resonates with another line of research I am pursuing.

Traditionally
management (as well as meetings) was seen using a mechanistic paradigm - plan,
design, implement and control.

But when we analyze
what really happens, especially in long living companies, it is much more
organic, self-organizing and emergent. Arie de Geus that studied that in
"The Living Company" also uses de gardening metaphor. And, if one is
interested in long-living companies and communities, a major concern is to live
in a world that can sustain life for a long period.

So, in what
concerns meetings, organizations and the world at large, we need different metaphors.
I am working now in a possibility of replacing the mechanistic world view by
one that is inspired in traditional agriculture.

The leader, not
only as gardener, but as an "organic farmer".

There is still
design, but not to implement and control; on the contrary, it is to design
(architect) for the emergence of life and self-organization.

Maybe this link
can interest you: http://www.metropolismag.com/pov/20111101/frontiers-of-design-science

Regards

Artur