[OSList] Missoula BarCamp 2012 - Open Space with Lightning Keynotes

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Wed Apr 11 23:01:47 PDT 2012

Harrison - I'd love to answer your question - but it looks like the rest
of the community has already done so.

I first encountered foo and bar as names for variables in my first LISP
programming classes back at MIT in 1980. I only learned years later that
it was derived from FUBAR. The last time I looked up this acronym there
were some who disputed the etymology as coming from the military - which
I though was ridiculous - it seemed perfect military gallows humor. But
that seems to have been worked out given the reference to a 1944 U.S.
Army animated short directed by Fritz Freleng including characters named
Snafu, Tarfu, and Fubar. (Situation Normal All F***ed Up, Things Are
Really F***ed Up, Totally And Royally F***ed Up).

Scatology aside - the first private invitation only Friends of O'Reilly
in 2004 was an Open Space without the facilitation - they just gave
folks a grid of times and places to fill in. It was held on the lawn and
many of the attendees camped out on O'Reilly's corporate headquarter's
lawn in Sebastopol, California. It made such a dramatic impact on the
computer and publishing industries that it was copied by people in the
Bay Area who didn't get invited and wanted to take advantage of the
spacious dynamic format. They called it BarCamp - an obvious name for
geeks as a complement to FooCamp. A "backcronym" for the event, invented
after the fact, is "Bay Area Rejects". Har har! The BarCamp spread
beyond tech into arts, law, real estate, and more, and are held around
the world. But it's like a bad copy of OST - but has made an impact.

     Harold