[OSList] Open Space elevator speech - was workshop, Bristol, UK, 4th/5th November

Alan Stewart alan at multimindsolutions.com
Mon Sep 26 19:44:07 PDT 2011

On 27 September 2011 01:33, fischer florian <florianfischer at ff-wey.com>wrote:

> Dear Liz,
> this advertising-announcement below serves beautiful as an elevator-speech,
> which we had gathered in the oslist some years ago.
> Florian
>
> Hi OSlisters All

Prompted by Liz's post, reminded by Florian about elevator-speeches and
inspired by an earlier contribution of Suzanne Daigle (Aug 7, 2011) I
composed this:

*Open Space Technology (OST) *

* *

*What is OST? *

It is a highly effective, participant-led process that has been described as
the most powerful leadership and meeting approach for the 21stcentury.

For it is a way to rapidly increase participation, equality, engagement,
inclusion, ownership, and energy for change within your organisation,
community or project.

These happen as it enables groups to identify critical issues, voice their
passions and concerns, learn from each other, and take collective
responsibility for finding solutions.

While being a process, practice and philosophy that is flexible and strong
enough to work with a few people or with thousands, for a few hours or over
several days or more.

*In what contexts is OST of particular value?*

   - a real issue of concern, a lot of caring about the issue and a lot at
   stake (personally or collectively; a reason for meeting that resonates
   embodied by a theme)

   - a high level of complexity (an issue to tackle that is bigger than any
   single individual or small group)

   - a real passion, caring a lot about the situation or issue

   - diversity (diversity in thinking, diversity in being open or in other
   words not rehashing the same stuff with the same people; a true interest in
   fully engaging, listening and speaking)

   - a spirit of invitation (you don't have to come but we'd love you to
   come and we'd want you there because you have a lot to contribute); and if
   you do decide to come, it's because you have passion and care enough to take
   responsibility and are making the commitment to be there the whole time

   - an open dialogue with the sponsor and host team in the pre-work about
   self-organization, how Open Space is not your typical predict-control model
   geared to a defined outcome, not your traditional facilitation, and not the
   oft way of leading when someone is expected to inspire, have all the answers
   or make the final decisions.

*With acknowledgments to Liz Martins and Suzanne Daigle.*

And with the thought that you may also find this useful for your purposes.

Go well

Alan

Adelaide