[OSList] Why I Actually Like Calling it "The Law of Two Feet"

Caitlin Frost caitlin.frost at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 10:14:25 PDT 2011

Thanks for articulating this Phelim.

For me the Law of Two Feet is definitely about movement.  Nice to notice
the "toward" in balance to the "away from" - and underneath that for me is
just the invitation to wise movement to follow my flow - to open space for
that for everyone.

And my practice can be in noticing what would stop me from moving when that
feels right, and working with that.  I can see how that serves me in life
and work both in and beyond Open Space.

Your post here sharpened my ear for the phrasing - and in two recent Open
Space openings I heard more clearly the speaking of this law as "away from"
without the equal balance of towards.  I will be more mindful now - when
offering it myself, or teaching it to others.

I like to think of it like I sometimes see little kids moving around.  Not
even needing a story to explain why they are moving.  There doesn't have to
be a reason or problem to leave - they just go when they are ready and find
themselves in the next place.  Eager faced - 'hey what's happening over
here?'

Thanks for offering some attention here.

Caitlin.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Phelim <phelim at mac.com> wrote:

> In open space technology there is only one law. It’s know as “The Law of
> Two Feet” Some people don’t like calling it this and it is objected to on
> the grounds of diversity/disability issues. So it gets re-christened “The
> law of mobility”. However, I think it’s a very useful metaphor and as such
> think all should have access to it. However that’s not what I want to talk
> about today.
>
> Sometimes people concentrate on “The law of two feet.” as being about
> leaving somewhere: it might be a session, a person who is dominating a
> conversation, a topic that goes off somewhere you are no longer interested
> in, all these are things one might want to move away from.
>
> However it’s good to remember it’s a law of TWO feet. Let’s say the first
> foot or step is away from. Then the second step in terms of our metaphor
> could be what we are moving towards. If the emphasis is just on the first
> step the potential energy or even an awareness of the second step can get
> overwhelmed. Veiled in issues of possibility or social politeness.
>
> So remember both aspects of the Law: “away from” but also “towards”. Where
> have you already taken yourself or your mind? Where inside yourself have
> you already taken your next step somewhere else?
>
> This is a useful thing to remember not least because it might support you
> over the threshold of your imagined impoliteness or arrogance when you find
> yourself worrying about the fact that you are leaving somewhere and being
> rude.
>
> Maybe if you focus on where you are going to or where your presence has
> gone.. Then you could realise it might be rude to have already left a less
> than present self amongst the group. Or perhaps it’s even arrogant to
> assume people will even notice that you left.
>
> So whether you are attending to “The Law of Two Feet” or “The Law of
> Mobility: Focus on the TWO feet of the dynamic and as Hal and Sidra Stone
> say “Sweat the choice”.
>

> Love Phelim
>
> http://www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/clusterform
>

> ________________________________
>
> I generally pick up emails only at the beginning and end of the working
> day. I am currently aiming to respond the following day. If it is urgent
> please call me on 07956 187298.

*UPCOMING WORKSHOPS in the transformative inquiry process of The Work: *
*Open Heart <http://caitlinfrost.ca/workshops/peace-in-relationship/>*-
Bowen Island, Nov. 4-6; Weekend retreat, Nova Scotia May 4-6, 2012; The
Work at work/business, Edmonton May 26 & 27, 2012
www.caitlinfrost.ca

*The Art of Hosting Conversations That
Matter<http://berkana.org/berkana/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=14&id=375&Itemid=525>
*, Bowen Island, BC, October 23 - 26th.

*If you really knew how beautiful you are, **
you would fall at your own feet.*
*Byron Katie.*

CAITLIN FROST
Coaching and Facilitation
Certified Facilitator - The Work of Byron Katie
Principal - Harvest Moon Consultants Ltd.
www.caitlinfrost.ca