[OSList] Satyagraha, Opera and Wall Street.

ELEDER AURTENETXE PILDAIN eleder.aurtenetxe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 00:50:33 PDT 2011

Hi Phelim, your story moves me really, and as Christy said,* **"so that
instead of quickly reading, quickly appreciating, and then moving on to the
next thing (of which there always seem to be so many) as I usually would do,
the space is suddenly not only vastly open, but is also very still and deep and
alive."*

Some weeks ago I experienced a very similar feeling. I had spent some 8
months caressing the idea to have Sunni Brown (Gamestorming=visual
thinking+facilitation+creativity+meetings,...) giving a workshop in Bilbao.
We had her finally with us and a group of 25 passionate people anxious with
the learning experience. We had got to have it organized in Eutokia, a one
year old council "social innovation" place... and the same council was
supporting the closure of Kukutza (a self-managed community place that had
been since year 1998 growing with creativity and activism, see this lip-dub
below to take a taste of the spirit in
Kukutza<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VieT5ksyo>if curious).

Just the day before our workshop started, the news came: police got to
Kukutza to desoccupy it. Lots of riots happened during 2 days, with some
friends and acquaintancies suffering them on the street,... as we were
enjoying our great workshop. Kukutza -the building- (no way the spirit!) was
demolished...

I was really moved and felt out of place. But, on the other hand, I felt
totally on my*"own place of truth"*. (Something like now, not being
phisically in Chile, but totally doing what I feel I must do :-). Many
people of the group were also really moved, and there were some that had
come from other towns and had no idea about all what was happening...

Eventually, after doubts and mixed feelings, I got to know clearly that it
was my duty to hold space for the workshop and take care of people. Then
beautiful things emerged. People had conversations on Kukutza, many were
sharing the same feelings as myself and needed to gather and "do something".
I just held space, listened, cared, expressed my own feelings,... We finally
got to do something that alliviated our pain: we painted a pannel saying
"people from the Gamestorming workshop supporting Kukutza" with lots of
energizing drawings done by many hands and distributed it via Twitter and
blogs...

Small action outwards but very big one inwards (as individuals and as a
group).

Phelim, I´m sure your feelings and doubts are widely shared in your team and
in the opera house (when you say *"I ask myself what am I doing not down on
Wall street but inside an opera house doing a piece about activism and
protest portrayed by singers with amazing voices. Is this just decadent?"*).
And I can understand you quite well...

Who knows, maybe someone ex-presses them aloud, conversation starts and
something really beautiful is born, outwards, inwards, wherever...

Now in Mundaka (just the contrary as in Olmué, I guess) little by little
days are shorter,  water colder, and we spend less and less time swimming in
the sea... dear spingtime!

Best dives,

*Eleder BuM31*
*Mind Mapping-Open Space Technology-Creativity*
http://www.burumapak.blogspot.com (eus)
@Eleder_BuM<http://twitter.com/Eleder_BuM>
(Twitter)
http://www.in-fluyendo.blogspot.com (esp)