[OSList] more on occupy san diego

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Tue Oct 18 04:40:35 PDT 2011

Dear Raffi,
for facilitation and thr role/stance of the facilitator (regardless of
what kind of meeting or process such as OST or FS or whatever) the best
in depth source and guide is
Don't Just Do Something, Stand There!
Georg Bischoff and me and a bunch of osnicks have translated it into
German, that version will be out no later than November 7.
One of the basic notions is that roles have to be clear to be most
effective. A participant is a participant, a skilled participant is a
skilled participant, a facilitator is a facilitator (urgent advice: that
role needs to be transparent!)... just popped in my mind on reading
about the guerilla facilitation. What I seem to sense is that everyone
in the groups and assemblies is a potential or actual leader at any one
time, so leadership is shared... the facilitator is also a leader but in
a role that is usually not that of a traditional leader, mostly
effective by basically doing NOTHING, which, of course, is hard and
attention demanding work.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp