[OSList] occupy Open Space?!

levelgreen2010 at gmail.com levelgreen2010 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 07:04:38 PDT 2011

This rif re finding effective ways for the Wall St protests everywhere to actually create change is inspiring and heartening. This is how world-changing social movements can happen - and if we pay *ttention to history, we need to look to the long haul. You all out there on the front lines for OST are needed more than ever!

Ithaca, NY's rally was somewhat ptitful: around 100 people, for little more than an hour. But then, the general culture here is activist-progressive, with strong local labor union linkages, so corporate greed has been a target for a long time. The problem with an academic community (cornell university, ithaca college), however, is that we're better at researching, writing abstractly and theoretically, and talking about issues than at taking action...

Patricia Haines, Level Green Institute
Level Green - fostering just and sustainable community through collaborative initiatives in hospitality, education and the arts, in the democratic spirit of the Danish Folk School