[OSList] occupy Open Space?!

Skye Hirst skyeh at autognomics.org
Sat Oct 8 07:10:04 PDT 2011

I'm so glad you are there and sharing your experience.  I too feel
this is a most exceptional event of process, and a rich one in the
history of our "becoming"  as humans.   Skye
On Oct 8, 2011, at 12:35 AM, Raffi Aftandelian wrote:

> dear open space and genuine contact friends (aka spaceniki and,
> perhaps, "wheelies")-
>
> Tonight marked the spirited kick-off for Occupy San Diego, one of
> the many local initiatives around the world taking place in
> solidarity with Occupy Wall Street. Speaking as a process artist
> (OST facilitator and Genuine Contact Program certified trainer) and
> a charmingly flawed co-human with a heart who is planning on
> camping out (occupy?!) on site for  while, I wanted to share some
> thoughts and observations and also extend an invitation.
>
> First off, taking part in all of this- tonight's march or attending
> the General Assembly (I was at last night's assembly- 130 people
> were there!)- really stretches me. I can't align with any of the
> adversarial language and expression here. So, as we marched today I
> was just silent, holding my multi-colored sign which read, "What
> does a wise, compassionate and glocal response to massive economic
> injustice look like?"  Heck, even calling it "Occupy" make me
> shudder!!!
>
> It is physically just very challenging to be in the presence of all
> of that energy. That said, from the the *moment* I heard of Occupy
> Wall Street, I had an *immediate* intuitive hit that this is
> something different, that this is something that I have to support.
> And at the very least this initiative could be supported by bearing
> witness-- and the simplest way I could do that is just camp there,
> just sleep there. That's it.
>
> Perhaps the act of sleeping in a public space can be a way of
> claiming *and* opening space, a way of dreaming the New Story into
> being?
>
> Also, I'm amazed to see how many different people locally have
> heard of the local Occupy San Diego initiative and how many
> different people I know showed up tonight! It's almost as if
> somewhere deep down there was a part of us that knew this is
> something we need to support.
>
> One of the things that encouraged me while attending General
> Assembly last night was the readiness and willingness of people
> from disparate points of view to hear each other out. What I'm
> seeing is messy, imperfect, and I know and imagine that ball has
> been dropped. But overall, it's a rather encouraging picture. It's
> also encouraging to see meditation part of the picture, too. A 20+
> minute flash mob still silent sitting meditation took place after
> the march tonight
>
> And indeed it has a lot of open space feeling to it. The general
> assembly and committees had been meeting at Children's Park (high
> play and high learning anyone??) here downtown. The park is made up
> of large circular patches of grass bordered with concrete. Each
> committee met in a different patch - marked with the name of the
> committee. And you just went to the committee you wanted. And from
> what i could see, if you wanted to create a new committee, you
> [...]

Skye Hirst, PhD
The Autognomics Institute
Perceiving the Process Nature of Life-itself

skyeh at autognomics.org
www.autognomics.org
Twitter @autognomics