[OSList] Fwd: Your advice please!

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 05:14:48 PST 2011

Dear Annette,
( a very long post giving background and detail -- my apologies)
I was one of the individuals who posted a reply to Julie Smith's question.
On Sunday, Elaine Hansen and I with a team of 15 to 20 people will be
hosting a Virtual Conversation that is in the "spirit" of Open Space. The
Conversation is around the theme of Brené Brown's Tedx talk The Power of
Vulnerability <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvmsMzlF7o>and her book The
Gifts of Imperfection<http://www.brenebrown.com/books/2010/8/8/the-gifts-of-imperfection.html>.
A total of 500 people registered from the US, and Canada with about 60 to
75 others from 27-28 countries. This is all we think we can handle. We had
to shut down registrations about 10 days ago. We have a wait list. It is a
free event. We are not calling it Open Space nor do I even want to intimate
it is Open Space Technology to you or others in this community. In my heart
of heart though, we are "opening space" and it is out of my love and
passion for Open Space that I wanted to do this event. To our guests from
all over the world, we have been saying that it is a "virtual experiment"
that we are "co-creating together"  for me, it is an experiment in the
direction of Open Space in cyber space. I have been longing for a way where
people could have live conversations, hear each others' voices, post
topics, create a marketplace, choose where they want to go, be bumble bees
and butterflies, document what get's said and connect deeply as we do in
Open Space. This is only a beginning.

The main technology we are using at the event is Maestro Conference.  Their
conference call service (with a visual computer participant dashboard - not
quite enough yet for what we need) allows us to breakout into small groups
and also be in large groups. It happens primarily over the phone or using a
computer "paid" phone service like Skype where individuals call an assigned
US based telephone numbers with an access code unique to each participant.
I have a very affordable paid subscription with Maestro  which allows me to
invite others (my account was for a max of 200 people).

On November 2nd, I wrote the OS list inviting people to our event. To my
surprise, Brian Curt, Founder and CEO of Maestro wrote to me that same day
and said: "I'm on this list - we def have a goal to eventually have full
inherently-OS-capable platform (where people can declare breakout topics,
and move by topic to other "rooms"), but in the meantime there are some
creative ways to use our platform to keep things "open".  I was ecstatic
and responded immediately saying that I knew a large community would love
this to happen and that many OS folks would be glad to help. This morning,
without being presumptuous towards Gabriela as I have not had the
opportunity to experience what she and others have created, I am wondering
if perhaps all of this could lead to an investor/shared vision/shared
knowledge type of conversation with Maestro and/or others in this fast
evolving collaborative technology world.

In my case, I wanted to offer something free to participants and where my
financial investment would not be too much.

Until November 8th, I thought we would be good with my 200 level
subscription. That's until Brené Brown blogged about us and accepted our
invitation to join. Within 24 hours or so, we went from 175 to 500. I have
no doubt we could have hit 1000, 2000 or more. I can admit to you here that
as the emails started flying in, Elaine and I almost panicked. I was even
brash enough to call the Maestro founder on his cell phone and he
generously offered to support us at the 500-person level as well as
offering one of their experienced people to help. (they have been
amazing!).

With my limited experience and the help of some wonderful people on our
team who know this technology, it felt like 500 is as much as we can manage
for now.

Now for some of the nuts and bolts:

   1. We used multiple technologies working as a team preparing this event:
   Skype, Tungle, Doodle, Youtube, freescreensharing, googledoc, etc. We are
   from Canada, US, and Juliane Neumann from Berlin.
   2. We used Eventbrite to invite people because we could show who was
   coming from which country plus connect with them later with emails and
   gather their comments. Click here to see
Invitation<http://globalconversation.eventbrite.com/>
   3. It is a 2-hour event; we have sent notes to participants asking them
   to arrive 15 minutes early-- enough time for people to greet each other as
   they would at any OS event or sit down in a circle by themselves waiting
   for things to start.  Our guests will be offered the opportunity as they
   arrive to be in small groups to say hi, share their name, why they came (as
   they would over a cup of coffee or getting their name tag). Cyber space on
   the phone can feel a bit dark and lonely cause you don't see each other. We
   are trying to create an invitational feel.
   4. Two minutes before start time, we will bring everyone in a large main
   virtual space.  Again because people do not have the physical feel, I will
   be welcoming everyone (3 minutes) and creating somehow the feel of sitting
   in a giant circle mentioning a few of our OS principles without referring
   directly to Open Space.
   5. Elaine, who will be acting as the official host in the same way of an
   Open Space event, will briefly set the context of the meeting reaffirming
   to all why we are here.  People came because of the topics and passion they
   have for Brené Brown's work. We know from their comments which they
   submitted to us that they are excited and inspired to have these
   conversations. Main ingredients of passion and responsibility are there!
   6. I will then invite questions from the virtual floor (so to speak). By
   pressing 1 on their telephone key pad, people will signal that they have a
   topic/question. Individual by individual, we will give them the virtual
   mike and they will state topic/name/where they are from. Participants will
   have been advised to have a paper handy to write the topics they feel they
   have a passion to join.  We will take 10 topics in the first round. And
   then people will be sent into small groups of 4, 5 and 6. Not perfect I
   know but this is as much as we can do with time and current technology. We
   will invite people to submit their questions/topics not spoken on our
   website (more on that later)
   7. We will have two rounds of conversation of 25 minutes each.  We will
   be asking for the second round of 10 topics after the first session is
   complete.
   8. We will ask everyone to record notes and highlights and post them as
   soon as possible (can be typed notes, doodles, video comments, etc). Not
   the same as having an initiator and asking that someone in the group do
   this. Here we are asking everyone.  We have set up a website for this. Lots
   of stuff on this site already. Have a look!  Global
Conversation<http://global-conversation.posterous.com/>
   9. Three graphic recorders will be listening, silently going from group
   to group, creating in images and words illustrated gifts of what is being
   shared.
   10. We will have a closing circle though on line, it will not be
   possible to hear the 500 voices in the time we have, but we will try to
   hear as many as we can.
   11. We will leave the lines open afterwards (15-30 minutes after) for
   people to continue talking and sharing as we do in physical space when we
   hang out after an event.

Initially we were planning on a World Cafe type event. I had not had the
courage until I saw Harrison in Chile to go beyond that. He challenged me,
nudged me and inspired me to go farther. I did and Elaine agreed as did the
rest of our team.

Navigating the technology world to introduce something like this with the
essence and spirit of self-organizing is a journey itself. I have loved
every magical minute of this work with the most wonderful team of people.
Generosity, joy, support, fun, persistence are words that come to mind.

Then I add love because as I read emails from our future guests, the
excerpts of one which I share with you in closing, I know that Whatever
happens on Sunday is the only thing that could have. Yes we will be a bit
nervous as will our guests similar to what it feels like sitting in a
circle for the first time. It's what creates the magic, the relationship,
the bonding and the opening of space. In the end, that's all that matters.

*Excerpts from a participant note received this morning*
"So excited (and a bit nervous!) about this Sunday's event.  I have never
done anything like this before, but, in an effort to really put Brené's
authentic living into practice, I felt I had to stretch my comfort zone!"
When I signed up for this event, I didn't realize that "Conversation" in
the title meant LITERALLY conversation!  I thought it would be like a
webinar  - which I have never done either, but my husband has and they
seemed to be pretty much a one-sided event.  This sounds like it is going
to be very different - in a good way!
*And then at the end of her note*
Thank you so much for all the effort and time and courage to do this.  I
read something this week from someone I follow on Twitter that said there
is one word that can change the world - TRY.  You and Elaine did just that
- you TRIED something new.  I can't wait to be a part of it and see how far
it takes all of us!

*Somehow this note made everything we've done so far worthwhile.

*Thank you everyone for your patience reading with reviewing or editing.
We still have a few more busy days ahead of us including setting up time
for those participant guests who said they wanted to test their phone
connections and get a feel for our event before the actual day.

Suzanne (with much appreciation to Elaine Hansen and a most wonderful team)

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:24 AM, Michael M Pannwitz <mmpanne at boscop.org>wrote:

> Dear Annette,
> check out the "deja vu" string that was started by Julie Smith with the
> same question, she lives right around the corner from you in Alaska... a
> number of responses pointed to various possibilities.
> Greetings from Berlin
> mmp
>

> On 18.11.2011 08:01, Annette Zera wrote:
>
>> I've been asked if it is possible to run an *online *Open Space event
>>
>> for 500 people.
>>
>> I haven't a clue.  Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>> Annette
>>
>> --
>> Annette Zera
>> 19 Highbury Terrace Mews
>> London N5 1UT
>>
>> 0207 690 1495
>> 07951771466
>>
>> www.gettingonbrilliantly.co.uk <http://www.**gettingonbrilliantly.co.uk<http://www.gettingonbrilliantly.co.uk>

> --
> Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
> Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
> ++49-30-772 8000
> mmpanne at boscop.org      www.boscop.org
>

> Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 440 resident Open
> Space Workers in 71 countries working in a total of 142 countries
> worldwide: www.openspaceworldmap.org

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group
7159 Victoria Circle