[OSList] Fwd: deja vu

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 04:26:08 PST 2011

Dear Julie, who I have not met.
We are in the ebullient midst of creating a Virtual Global Conversation in
the spirit of Open Space. It is a two-hour event happening on November
20th.  Unfortunately as we push the limits of technology, wanting to give
as much freedom and choice as possible to our guests to self-organize and
co-create their topics, questions and conversations, we had to limit our
attendance to 500.  Initially we thought it might attract 100 people -- now
we know that thousands might have joined.

We started as a team of two, with Elaine Hansen and I, which then  grew to
an organizing team of 20 from the US, Canada and Europe, ages 18 to over
60. Many in our group knew Open Space, though not all. We chose Brené
Brown's work, her Ted talk "Power of Vulnerability"  and her latest book
"The Gifts of Imperfection" which invites dialogue on themes and topics
that embody the wonderful principles of Open Space including the Law of 2
Feet.  Our idea was to create a bit of magic for a few hours and to explore
and experiment what might be possible in the virtual space. In this
pioneering effort, we used a host of technologies Maestro Conference as our
main platform, Eventbrite to connect and invite people, facebook,
posterous,Google,  tungle me, doodle, Youtube, twitter, Skype and the list
goes on and on. It became a learning experience, an experiment and a
pioneering adventure. There have been so many surprises along the way and
the biggest non-surprise of all is what happens when passion and
responsibility collide. Great things happen, work becomes fun, end result
and outcome is less important than the journey, creation and innovation
emerge, lots of lessons for today's working world which is the place we
want to tackle next... BIG TIME.

Over the past 6 weeks, creating something from nothing, you cannot even
imagine what fun it has been, how close our working team has become, how
much work was involved -- regularly receiving 5:30 a.m. or 3:39 a.m. emails
from people on this team, adding yet another little piece on this
project.

So Julie, I wish I could open our arms wide and extend another invitation
to a community that I love but we are full up.  Later today, our new
Posterous website should be up and running. It includes a welcome video and
slide show that describes the story of this project. It will also be our
temporary home for this event, a place to gather the highlights, the
drawings and doodles, the reports and breakthroughs from the many people
who will be taking part on November 20th including Brené Brown. Check our
invitation website (we already have close to 100 people on a wait list) and
our facebook which was recently created, for the latest news.
www.globalconversation.eventbrite.com and Global Conversation
facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Conversation-The-Gifts-of-Imperfection/181146155298478>
.

We know that we have worked much harder than we should. In the invention
and co-creation of this, we are not yet at the stage of "one less thing to
do" (wink, wink Harrison). We see in this grand adventure, the
possibilities of opening lots of space, bridging the physical world and the
virtual world -- with the idea when passion and responsibility find a place
and some space, it leads to inspired action, innovation, transformation and
change. That we know without a shadow of a doubt because we are living it
with this project. It's also a way to beginning shifting conversations from
problem-solving and fixing to possibility and opportunity.

Suzanne

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Julie Smith <jsmith at mosquitonet.com> wrote:

> Dear all ~
>
> It's been a long time!  I've just skimmed through the last several months
> of postings and find myself sitting here with a big silly grin.  It's
> really amazing how vibrant and alive and connected everyone here still is.
>  A real testament to what naturally happens when we self-organize.  :)
>
> Two things bring me back here.  One is that I recently came across a book
> of our conversation on the oslistserve that I compiled in 2002.  The book
> is a little more than 300 pages and contains the remarkable conversation
> that unfolded here in the days from 8-25-01 until 9-27-01.  Really.  We
> created over 300 pages of conversation in the span of one month.  We had a
> lot to say as we watched the world change on 9-11.  I still count that
> experience as one of the highlights of my life.
>
> The name I gave to this compilation is A Partial Diary of the Collective
> Buddha.  I included a bit of art to dress it up, put things in order,
> cleaned up the formatting and had it coil-bound with a cover to protect it.
>  I like it a lot.  For me, this book is a treasure.  So much was felt and
> shared here, so many of us were so heart-moved.
>
> I long ago lost track of whatever computer I was using in 2002, so this
> copy is pretty much what I have.  But still, I have this.  I wonder if it
> would be worthwhile to take what I have back to the copy shop where I could
> cut off the binding and scan all the pages into a pdf document that I could
> then share.  Is this something anyone is interested in having?  If there is
> interest, I will find out more about how to make this available.  Whether
> you are interested in the book or not, I look forward to hearing from you!
>
> The second reason I came back is to learn more about the ways in which
> Open Space is being used in virtual space.  I'm pondering an open space
> event that serves a global community that doesn't have the capacity to get
> together in the same physical room.  We are quite adept, however, at
> holding meetings in which we are connected in some combination of
> face-to-face, audio, and video conferencing.  I know a bit of this has been
> done already, and I'm eager to learn from those who have done it.  Can
> someone please point me to who I might connect with about this?  Many
> thanks!
>
> Much love ~~~~~
>
> Julie

Suzanne Daigle