[OSList] Tova Averbuch on Tedx Jaffa : Opening space to collective wisdom

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Wed Nov 9 15:42:46 PST 2011

Dear Tova

This is beautiful.

*Self organization by living systems*

A write-up of the description of open space given by Tova at the TEDx talk:

*We are trying to create an infrastructure for human interaction to
take place, mainly face to face but also could be virtual, to create
organizations that are living systems, not mechanical systems.

Now how do we work in open space? What kind of principles or ways of
conduct do we use, that make it possible to come as fully me and yet
in the same time to be totally open to others, to all sorts of others,
to create a collective we.

>From all the methodologies that I know that are opening space I could
draw up seven principles or ways of conduct. They are weary simple.

1. You are invited, you don't have to come, but you are invited.

2. You are included, and what makes you included is that you wish to come.

3. You are the right people, no shame, no blame, you are perfect the
way you are.

4. It is all done by self organization, no one is telling you what to
do, you are making it happen, creating the agenda, etc.

5. Transparency, we do it all in transparency so we can build on the
wisdom, of one and another, of layer by layer.

6. We encourage and invite some multeity **and multi version, it
dose not have to be in sequential or linear logic, it happens all at
the same time, it is great.

7. You are free at all times to be mobile, and let your legs carry you
to where your heart and mind wants to be

If we are getting or putting people together and we do not insist that
they must agree, then they don't have to fight and compromise. And if
we take people and we allow them to move freely, that means that
people can self regulate and if they had enough and they feel that the
emotion is arising and they can not control it, they can go somewhere
else, they can self regulate themselves and they feel no constrain.
And in this way of work where individuals can be fully themselves,
they become, as I can see, fully alive, and create collectives that
are living systems and not mechanical or machine like systems.

*see original: http://youtu.be/adf1sjnXERE

Kári Gunnarsson
kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
gsm: +354 8645189