[OSList] Signing up for sessions

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Sat Nov 5 07:42:01 PDT 2011

Warm greetings,

This is a subject I will chime in on. I don't have anyone sign up onto the
session of their choosing. In thinking of one thing less to do, there was
very little point to do so. In the end, people end up going where they feel
inspired to go, and the signing up process didn't add value. I always keep
the space in the plenary area free of small group sessions.and simply invite
the groups, if they discover they are too big, to come back and use space in
the plenary area. I remember a meeting that Harrison and I did some years
back, and a large group of about 40 people stayed in the plenary session for
the full four session times of the day.the session was 'the conflict' and
was able facilitated all day long by three amazing women. The same 40 people
didn't stay but it was always about 40 in the room.

One additional reason I stopped doing sign ups for the sessions is about the
marking pens. I had a terrible incident in a community OST meeting
commissioned by a government, in which as people dropped the marking pens
onto the floor after signing up, they became a safety hazard as some seniors
slipped on them and tumbled to the floor.never again for me. The marking
pens at the start are kept in the center until the topics go up, and then
are available later on a table.but not along that congested agenda wall.

Good luck with your event,

Birgitt