[OSList] The 5th Principle / Sardinia

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue May 24 07:25:05 PDT 2011

Brendan - A man after my own heart! Seems like you think in circles, which
many might find less than productive. J But for myself, it is the only way
to go. Round and round, and although you may meet yourself coming back there
is also a high probability that you will go deeper. At least that is my
excuse.

And I also tend to agree with you that the 5th Principle doesn't add much.
But then the same could be said for the original 4, along with the Law of
Two Feet. The point is that all of them (1-5) are descriptive and not
pre-scriptive. That is to say that they simply acknowledge what would be the
case in any event, even if they were never spoken. The justification for
calling them "principles" and announcing them as the space is opening (in my
mind) is simply to alert people to the "facts of life." And why do that?
Because in the busyness of living we seem to forget the obvious realities.
And our forgetfulness can get us in trouble. For example, the 1st Principle,
"Whoever comes is the right people" is a total truism. The people who show
up are the only ones there - and worrying about all the folks who might have
come, should have come - is a waste of time, and more importantly, can
easily distract us from the gifts and opportunities that walked in the door.

I think the 5th principle is more of the same order. No matter what might
have happened, could have happened, should have happened - you are in the
place you are. And that place/space has its own unique gifts and
opportunities no matter what constraints or apparent disadvantages might
exist.  To be sure it is worthwhile searching for an "adequate" venue, and
some seem better than others. But at the end of the day, you are where you
are. Duh! - And more to the point, Space will open for those who care to be
there.

Early on in my experience in Open Space I did notice certain anomalies when
it came to the place of meeting. Venues that appeared totally abysmal (the
feared "bowling alley", for example) became a vibrant container for
magnificent  conversations, and in fact the spatial restriction seemed, if
anything, to magnify the intensity and depth. At the other extreme,
seemingly ideal venues just really didn't work for the group. I remember in
particular a conference center in Belgium (IBM, I think) that looked as if
it had been specially constructed for Open Space. The central room was
completely round, and the break out spaces (also round) radiated from the
edge of the large room. Perfect you would think! And yet, to judge from the
behavior of the group that "ideal" environment was no such thing. By lunch
on the first day no group was to be found meeting in the official breakout
spaces. Everybody had searched for and found alternative spaces and places.
Small irregular nooks and crannies, little patios, an un-used service bar.
So much for the ideal venue!

Although I had noticed the curious happenings in terms of venue space, it
never occurred to me to see all this as yet another principle. I guess it
sort of fell beneath my perceived level of significance. But all of that
changed in Sardinia thanks to Claudia. As she described the ethos and
happenings of Tahrir Square it became clearer to me that space can and does
open anywhere. And yes we can devote time and effort to finding the "proper"
venue, but when the Spirit is up, any place will do.

Claudia helped me see something else. For understandable reasons we
(certainly I) had concentrated our attention on Open Space as an event -
which effectively blinded us to it larger prevalence. Tahrir Square (and
multiple similar occurrences) was open space by any reasonable standard. But
nobody had convened or planned it - though doubtless some folks will claim
credit. Our "events" are therefore 2nd order derivatives from an original,
and completely natural phenomenon.  And one more time we are reminded that
any effort on our part to claim Open Space as our creation, a meeting method
amongst many others - is simply a dog that won't hunt. I think it also
shifts or enlarges our task and opportunity. The road ahead is not so much
about refining and expanding a methodology (if it ever was) but rather to
open our eyes to the natural occurrences of space opening for human beings
to grow in. In part this is an appreciative activity - simply noticing the
grandeur and elegance of  our evolution which seemingly occurs all by itself
without our plan or direction. But there is also another side. How can we
help? What can we do or be that will enhance the richness and power of the
spaces opening in our midst? Doubtless this is the work of several more
lifetimes and I believe that our prior experience with OST as an event can
be very helpful. But it just a beginning.

We know that a single individual (facilitator), by saying little and doing
less, can enable the process whereby groups of people numbering in the
1000's can experience themselves and their future in positive and useful
ways. And yes, I suspect that there will always be a place for the good old
fashioned Open Space - if only as a training program for the larger game.
But that larger game is "out there" and not in a venue of our choosing.

Just imagine - you are a single individual standing at the edge of Tahrir
Square. You don't speak the language, and have little if any understanding
of the issues. How can you help? It may sound like Mission Impossible - but
it is a mission that thousands of our friends and colleagues have undertaken
all over the world during the past 25 years - albeit in microcosm. I think
it may be time to join the Big Game. It will be exciting and just remember,
"Wherever it is, is the right place."

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: