[OSList] Re : The 5th Principle - Why I think it is Important (Harrison Owen)

Stella Duffy stell at clara.co.uk
Mon May 30 01:41:20 PDT 2011

The 5th Principle is not only important, it¹s vital.
In 1905, Hermann Minkowski, a mathematical physicist (who taught Einstein)
realised that the understanding of time needed space to define it, and that
the understanding of space needed time to define it. He created the concept
of spacetime ­ the 3 dimensions of space combined with the 4th dimension of
time.
It can be written like this : (+, +, +, ) or like this : (-, -, -, +).
He published his paper on this idea in 1908.
Using Minkowski¹s concept of spacetime, Einstein made the leap from the
Special Theory of Relativity to the General Theory of Relativity.
Acknowledging the place/space is vital.

In a marvellous piece of synchronicity, I¹m about to leave for the Hay
Literature Festival to discuss this concept, and the story I wrote based on
this concept, in a panel with two writers and three physicists. The story is
called Everything is Moving, Everything is Joined ­ both because that is a
physical/physics-based truth, and because Ralph Copleman wrote the piece
called Everything is Moving that was posted here last year and I loved it so
much.

Stella x