[OSList] Vibrant Phoenix & the 5th Principle

Christine Whitney Sanchez cwhitneysanchez at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 18:49:56 PDT 2011

Dear Open Space Friends,

Wherever it is, is the right place.  At the Vibrant Phoenix event last
week, more than half of the participants posted their names and
contact info so that the conversations could continue!  You can see
those commitments online here.

Amanda, Harrison, Barry, Tova and Thomas, I brought you and all our
open space friends into the Vibrant Phoenix event.  It was a high
stakes affair, with many elected officials sitting in the opening
circle holding their shoulders up by their ears sitting next to
business folks in suits and high heels along with a spunky group of
young social entrepreneurs.  They posted 22 topics (see below) over
three sessions.  As I was walking around taking pictures, I heard
vibrant and wise discussions - people in my home town are obviously
passionate about positioning our region for economic success.

What a great morning!

On June 3, 2011, over 100 Arizonans gathered at the beautiful new
Chandler City Hall to discuss regional collaboration to create vibrant
city environments to attract and retain talent and investment.  The
Open Space strategy session, designed to engage cities, businesses and
communities to raise the level of thinking on how we position our
region for economic success, made it possible for the participants to
generate topics and focus on what they most cared about.

Following a morning of lively and meaty discussions, more than half of
the participants committed to be hosts or participants in further
conversations on the most exciting ideas for positioning our region
for economic success.

For more of the story from http://vibrantphx.com/....look below my
signature.  For those of you on Facebook, I've posted photos from the
event on my profile.

Warm wishes from a golden Phoenix sunset,

Christine

Christine Whitney Sanchez, Partner
Innovation Partners International
480.759.0262
www.innovationpartners.com

Mayor Jay Tibshraeny of Chandler, Arizona and Mayor Georgia Lord of
Goodyear, briefly opened the morning with former SunCor Development
Co. President Steve Betts providing background discoveries of the
Metro Phoenix DNA Project.

The remainder of the morning was led by the participants themselves –
they created their own agenda by hosting discussion sessions on topics
they have passion for.

The Open Space meeting was guided by Christine Whitney Sanchez,
partner with Innovation Partners International, a strength-based
consulting firm with international experience and credentials in
leading groups and communities to new heights.  Open Space is a non-
hierarchical, transparent process that makes it easy for large groups
to build on each other’s ideas and self-organize for taking action on
the most exciting ideas. It is a fun and dynamic way to release the
wisdom of the many.

Twenty-two participants hosted the following breakout discussions:

Abandoning the past to enable the future
Dichotomy of highly educated workforce & education funding
Transforming University Education
How do we retain the creative talent that we already have?
What types of companies have talent we want & how do we attract them?
What is your city doing for me?
True & Terrifying Tales of Young Entrepreneurs
The urban forest & economic redevelopment = lush desert lifestyle
An environmentally & economically sustainable Arizona
Where has the sense of caring for each other gone in our state? How do
we get it back?
Why are you afraid of telling the truth? Unlocking community by being
authentic.
Why are you scared of me? Exploring relationships w/ creatives
Grow a culture & network of innovation
Creating creative gathering spaces
Arts & Culture
How do we wake the “sleeping giants”? (moms, dads, neighbors)
Primary Education Revitalization
The legislature and our image
Friends in “Low” places. Identifying other user partners to develop
our communities
How do we make AZ’s natural assets (the outdoors) part of the
conversation to attract talent?
Attracting international interest – Being globally connected
Bridging the gap between generation leadership
Each breakout group posted their most potent and actionable ideas.
One half of the participants were so passionate about the ideas that
emerged that they listed their contact information to host another
conversation and explore next steps.

The document below represents original discussion topics, hosts,
action ideas, participants who committed to host the next conversation
and people who have committed to participate in the next
conversation.  If you are interested in joining a conversation, please
contact the host listed in the chart.

Visit the next actions online here.