[OSList] Intro and inquiry: Open Space with some off-limits topics

Dan Mezick dan.mezick at newtechusa.com
Tue Jul 12 08:30:24 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am a respectful lurker who now has an inquiry, so it is time to
introduce myself.

Hi! I am Dan Mezick, coach to Agile teams, their sponsors, and executive
management. I live in CT. I am friendly, curious and playful. I enjoy
conducting frequent experiments. I like to be surprised and learn.  I
have a history of software development. I receive a software patent in
1999.  In 2003, I run an elaborate search engine optimization experiment
that results in over 120,000 unsolicited, incoming web links from all
around the world, in 20 days. Those 120,00++ links-in result in a #1
Google rank for over 7 years.

Now I am curious about Open Space. I play with it. I read all the books
from Harrison. I experience many surprises as I read these books.  I
convene five OST events in Boston since 2009. The largest is the Agile
Boston Open Space in Sept 2010 where 275 people participate. I have
experience directly facilitating some smaller OST meetings for clients
recently.

I am currently quite fascinated with Open Space and OST dynamics.

This list is very awesome and awe-inspiring. I am very happy to be here.

If you like to be surprised, you may enjoy this:
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/esp.html

Here is my inquiry:

My Inquiry
=========

"Let' s not go there."

This is a common utterance used in conversation, one that clearly
signals that the space is closed to that topic.

Open Space, limited by only a broad Theme, is not very limiting.
Authority often is concerned with this wide-ranging freedom to explore
"just about anything" when considering OST, and what might result from
that afterward.

I wonder if any of us have experience with doing OST with some sections
in the discussion-space explicitly closed.

I wonder how these limits are expressed-in-fact; for example inside the
Invite or in the composition of the Theme.

I wonder how the "explicitly stated as closed" space is then
successfully maintained in an OST setting. I then wonder how much fun
the event is, when some space is closed.

I wonder also, if this is an oxymoron, that just does not work very
well, ever.

I think have read here somewhere here, in a passing comment, that
sometimes, certain topics are closed in OS meeting.

I wonder if anyone has experience trying this, and if any specific
knowledge about this is documented explicitly anywhere.

Thank you for your help ! I am preparing to be surprised.