An OST Story

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Thu Jan 13 09:17:12 PST 2011

Dear Suzanne,
just in the process of editing the emerging German version of "Don't
Just Do Something, Stand There!" by Marvin Weisbord and Sandra Janoff.
In the chapter about "saying no" they have a definition of insanity that
I thought of reading your sentence
"Why do people favor the traditional over trying something new that
could invite so much of what they want and are looking for?"

Here comes the quote from Marv and Sandra:
"There is a saying that the definition of insanity is doing what you
have always done and expecting different results."

By that definition I have been insane frequently but as I enter my
eighth decade am beginning to notice....

Taking charge of what interests you seems to be a very natural thing do
do (its also called responsibility... to which I have an unhappy
relationship because it was always thrown at me as a kind of "you
better"). My observation in OSevents confirms that taking charge is a
natural thing: when someone turns to me (happens sometimes in OS even
though I think I am invisible)saying "I think we should..." and I, after
being numbed for about 8 seconds say "If its your issue, just write
it...."...invariably that someone is visibly stunned, mouth open, a
shudder running down his spine followed often by a smile and then
actually stepping into the center and putting down her/his issue...
Doing what I consider to be natural is plain uncommon, in fact probably
dangerous, perhaps un-American but sane?... and  in the end, pure joy.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 427 resident Open
Space Workers in 71 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org