OS & Open Conferences

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 05:13:29 PST 2011

Thank you so much for everyone’s thoughts and ideas – I have read through all of what you have said – so please watch this space – I will ‘send’ you a flyer if I manage to get this together!

Very best wishes

Jon

Jon Harvey MBPsS

Director

"  <http://www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk/> www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk

( +44 (0) 7771 537535

( +44 (0) 1280 822585

›   <mailto:jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk> jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk

¹  Skype: jonsharvey

JHAL logo.jpg

Helping you connect the prose and the passion

to deliver superlative results

 <http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/> http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve the efficiency & effectiveness of public & third sector services

 <http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/> http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles & ideas about leadership and organisational change from a whole systems perspective

 <http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey> http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey for conversations, ideas & questions to help build a more ambitious, creative and fair world

 <http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI> http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI to connect with me on LinkedIn

Jon Harvey Associates Ltd

Registered Office: Chandos House, School Lane, Buckingham, MK18 1HD

Company Number 6661588. VAT Registration Number 936 2921 11

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.

All business mileage is offset with  <http://www.carbon-clear.com/uk/index.php> http://www.carbon-clear.com

Dear all

I think I have managed to persuade a public conference producer to run (and charge for) one of their conferences using Open Space. I debated with her that the ‘talking heads’ type of conference with a smattering of workshops (which are usually mini plenary sessions too) could be so much more valuable and productive if OS was used. I said I would enquire if anyone else had done this – how did it go – what lessons did you draw?

This is something of a gamble I recognise, as this will not be quite the kind of issue that has to be solved yesterday kind of context. (Although given the current austerity measures which are sweeping across the UK public services right now – a lot of things have to be solved yesterday!) Also the people gathered will be a community of interest (ie they will all have signed up to come to the topic in questions) but not a community / group in any other way...

So what do people think – can this work – has this worked?

Many thanks

Very best wishes

Jon