OS & Open Conferences

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 06:10:36 PST 2011

Thanks for everyone’s responses so far

Apologies for not being clear.

I will try again:

At the moment this conference organising company will send out a flyer for a
conference with some speakers morning and afternoon – with a few smaller
sessions / workshops as part of the day and charge around £400 ($550).
People sign up and come along. Notionally people ‘network’ in the coffee
break sessions and otherwise sit there fairly passively. Crucially they will
have been able to justify the conference fee, time and travel costs to get
there based on the ‘expert’ speakers on the agenda.

I am hoping to work with the conference company to put on a whole day OS
instead where the subject is one where everyone is an expert (as it were)
with something to offer, gain and invent during the process of the day. They
may well have to justify expenses / fee etc on the basis that much learning
will be exchanged but not from a list of ‘experts’ presenting as ‘normal’.
An alternative would be do this half and half – am: talking heads then
packet lunch and pm: OS. The flyers will be sent out in the usual way to a
mailing list of people in local government.

I know that OS always works – of course! But do people have any live
examples of where the format I am describing has worked – and why?

Many thanks.

(For info I attended a large progressive alliance ‘Netroots UK’ meeting in
London on Saturday – and here is my blog piece about it
(http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/2011/01/process-matters.html) –
commenting on why the process could have been so much better. I have some
positive feedback from a number of people – including Will Straw who runs
‘Left Foot Forward’ a widely read left wing blog and who was partly
responsible for the event. He tweeted:

 <http://twitter.com/#!/wdjstraw> wdjstraw Will Straw

V. interesting take on yesterday's #netrootsuk
<http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23netrootsuk>  event by @JonSHarvey
<http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey>  http://tinyurl.com/processmatters - lots to
consider for next year  )

Very best wishes