OS at May 2011 Local OpenGov Innovation Summits

Lucas Cioffi lucas at athenabridge.org
Sun Jan 9 08:47:42 PST 2011

Hello Lisa, thank you for your fantastic questions!  Please note that
everything I say is open to improvement by the central planning team which
will begin its discussions next week on a tool similar to this discussion
list.

To sum up, this event is a platform to spread the word about open space and
open government.  The central planning team will not constrain the choices
of local organizing teams; we will provide suggestions and local organizing
teams will have the authority to do what is best for their particular
circumstances.

At this stage, members of the OS community can help in a few ways:

   - We need one primary OS coordinator for the central planning team that
   will provide guidance to local teams that do not have an OS facilitator.
   - We need OS facilitators for local events.  If we have a facilitator for
   a city, we will help find the rest of the team members for that city; all we
   need is you to spark this event where you live!
   - We need team leaders for local events.  Team leaders are the key
   personnel to make this event happen at their local level (municipal, city,
   or state).  If you know emerging leaders that can use a platform to
   demonstrate their skills, this will be a perfect fit for them.

Answers to your specific questions are below.  Keep 'em coming!

Lucas
917-528-1831

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net>wrote:

> - how long are these summits (how much time for Open Space)

A: 1/2 day, full day, or two days, depending on the decision of the local
team leader.

> - does any other business have to happen on that day / those days

A: No

> - how many people expected

A: Larger cities will draw 100-150.  Municipal governments may have 25-50.

> - why was Open Space selected as the tool (what are the objectives and
> desired outcomes of the meeting)

A: The central planning team's objective is to empower local organizing
teams. Local organizing teams will choose their own objectives and outcomes.
 Local opengov communities that are already established will probably have
different goals than opengov communities that are forming.

> - what is the documentation design / has it been designed yet

A: This is not yet designed yet.  It would be fascinating to have an
international harvest in addition to local harvests.

> - can all the potential sites accommodate Open Space (that is, at least
> twice as large in capacity as the number of people expected)

A: Local teams will choose their own sites.

> - is there capacity for follow-up

A: Local teams will determine next steps.

> - do any decisions have to be made? actions or next steps identified?
> (during that event - including sometimes groups do that virtually or
> in-person post-event and sometimes the event is about idea generation,
> relationship building, resource sharing and more where the dialogue *is* the
> action and next steps are not part of the design

A: No decisions have to be made.

> - is there funding for bringing facilitators to areas outside their home
> towns

A: Local organizing teams will have several members (team leader,
sponsorship coordinator, event facilitator, logistics coordinator, outreach
coordinator, technology coordinator, plus others that the local team leader
identifies).  One facilitator can work with many local organizing teams as
long as their events are not on the same day.  Local team leaders will
manage their own budget which will depend on 1) local sponsorship 2)
national sponsorship and 3) ticket prices.  National sponsorship will be
divided on a per-participant basis so larger events will receive a
proportionately larger amount of money; this provides the incentive for
local team leaders to attract more participants.