[OSList] Open Space for just 2 hours and 10 people - any advice?

Jeff Aitken r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:14:16 PST 2011

Hi Leslie,

Beneath my remarks is one thing that I've seen in tiny ost meetings: even
when we explain the law and the insects really well in the opening, I have
experienced that a group of 12 or fewer is susceptible to a sometimes
mildly coercive dynamic which results in the whole group staying together
instead of using the law to break out into smaller groups. it's not always
coercive but it sometimes feels that way. other times I see an enthusiastic
choice to stay together rather than break out. and other times there are
topics and insects all around the room.

when learned quickly that I would not find a way to intervene in this
dynamic, I found one way to make life a little easier (call attention to
the shorter session times) and the rest is letting go.

hope this helps.

Jeff

On Thursday, December 22, 2011, Jeff Aitken <r.jeff.aitken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Leslie,
>
> This will be a good meeting, tho it's hard to say whether it will also
look like an open space with more people and more time. so I don't know if
the goal of being a pilot test will be met in that way. people will
experience the opening and the principles and law and the agenda wall, and
that will be good, and their topics will be posted, and there might be as
many topics as participants, or not.

> the practice of letting go as a facilitator is unique in a tiny ost.
participants might do what is typical in a larger ost, move into small
groups and make the change at the session time and come back for the
closing.

> yet they might instead make a group choice to stay together and cover the
agenda items on the wall as a whole group. in that case I would remind them
gently that the time available for each topic is now shorter - ten topics
in an hour is six minutes each for example - and suggest they write that
down on the agenda posters. then let go, don't offer to facilitate
actively, hold space as they go thru the session times. it may feel weird
to not be engaged, but it will be fine.

> they might also make the choice as a whole group to cover just one agenda
item for the entire time, or two, and the other topics will not be touched
upon at all.

> so I suggest to consider how these differences may impact the outcomes
you want from this ost (will there be notes on each topic even if it's not
talked about at length?) and how you reflect on the event in the closing
circle and in communication with boss and staff afterward. (was this a
typical ost, just shorter, or did it look a little different?)

> I also might suggest longer session times and a shorter opening and
closing circle for the small group. 20-40-40-20?

LeslieZ at creativedc.com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I got such great feedback last time I tried this, I’m giving it a second
try… thanks in advance.

>> I have been asked to facilitate a small group of just 10 people in a
pilot test of a short Open Space of just two hours. I tried to get more
time, but that’s all the boss felt comfortable with.

>> It’s already scheduled for this coming Wednesday the 28th – that’s in 6
days, gulp!

>> The purpose is to gather their input for an initial training needs
assessment.

>> The 10 people are all from the same division within my company – but not
my division.  I will facilitate it – my first time facilitating an Open
Space.

>> The invitation to them and agenda I’ve drafted are below…. Any
reactions, words of advice, wisdom, tips, etc?

>> Invitation I plan to send to the invitees tomorrow…
>>

>> What training matters to you? What is urgent now?
>>
>> Come join us for a fun and provocative gathering on Wednesday, December
28th 2:00 - 4:00 PM to discuss these questions.

>> Held in the large conference room – 7th floor. No need to bring or
prepare anything – just yourself and an open mind!

>> By the end of this gathering….
>>
>> ·         Every issue of concern to anybody will have been raised, if
they took responsibility for doing that.

>> ·         All issues will have received full discussion, to the extent
desired.

>> And just a day or two later, the issues and discussions will be
documented and in the hands of all participants.

>> And from here down is my own preparation…
>>

>> Draft Schedule
>>
>> 2:00 - 2:30: Opening Circle / Create agenda / Marketplace  (with 2
timeslots, 3 locations each)

>> 2:30 - 3:00: Session 1
>>
>> 3:00 – 3:30: Session 2
>>
>> 3:30 - 4:00: Closing Circle
>>

>> Preparations
>>
>> Signs of:
>>
>> ·         4 principles,
>>
>> ·         1 law,
>>
>> ·         two questions,
>>
>> ·         time slots,
>>
>> ·         location of groups
>>

>> Graphics of:
>>
>> ·         bumblebee,
>>
>> ·         butterfly,
>>

>> Supplies:
>>
>> ·         Masking tape,
>>
>> ·         markers,
>>
>> ·         flip charts,
>>
>> ·         construction paper (for the agenda topics),
>>
>> ·         Blank template for notetakers: Title of session, Convener,
List of participants, Discussion and recommendations