[OSList] Individual and collective master (was: OST - OpenSystems Thinking)

Arno Baltin arno at tlu.ee
Sun Dec 18 20:19:10 PST 2011

Hi Every One,

I like this discussion on connections and would comment on the co-incidence
topic in particular

 It seems to me that the connection between Buddhist Practice and Open
Space is probably co-incidental.

As following the discussion on OSLIST on connections of OST with other
(spiritual) practices I am reading a book on a thinker and a poet of ours -
Uku Masing. It is a collection of memories from his students, friends and
admirers. There is a poem of his, quoted, in which he says he would rather
be the "friend of the whole space" than exploiter of its resources.

The friend of the space sounds very OS-like for me. And it reminds me of
another co-incident of my getting closer to OST. It happened during my
visit to US in 1992. My guide to the country was a Friend, Kersey Bradley.
At the time he was an engineer on a cargo ship (Liberty) which took me over
the ocean. He invited me to his home, introduced to his lovely family and
helped to get further north from Pennsylvania. When in Worcester (MA) I met
the local Friends and attended their meetings regularly. As looking back to
these meetings from my experience of OST, this was and introduction into OS
- the circle, space for expressing, listening, no particular leader of the
meeting, the Spirit.

Ten years later I was sitting in opening circle of OST led by Harrison in
Tartu.

I am grateful to these people and those co-incideces.

Be well,

Arno

      *A*r*n*o *B**a*ltin